Please help, installing motherboard drivers freezes PC on exact same screen :/

Alcor_

Reputable
Jul 22, 2016
Hello everyone, I hope all is good!

I have a new motherboard that seems to be having a driver conflict due to me changing motherboards without formatting OS/HDD.

Full mode:

I had an Asus x99 Deluxe and decided that I want to change to Skylake with the Asus z170 Deluxe instead. So I removed my x99 Deluxe and installed my z170 along with all the SATA, power and fan cables. The OS booted just fine and all my programs and games were avaiable right away like nothing was changed. I thought this happened because of the similar type of both boards in a way (?) still not sure. So after a few days, I decided to make a fresh install of windows 10 with a purchased copy. I formatted my SSD and did the installation just fine. The problem appeared when I started installing my motherboard's drivers; everytime I tried to install one of them through the Asus 3rd party installer, my whole PC froze at whatever screen was displayed. Each time this happened I had to force shut down my PC through the power button and it is really frustrating.

The only way I managed to install all of my major/important drivers is through device manager by selecting the device and manually prompting it to the driver location on my desktop. However, my PC still freezes when I want to install drivers that make change to my hardware using a 3rd party application. For example, I bought a new logetich G502 mouse and downloaded their software from the website and when I try to install the software my system freezes in the middle of the installtion. Has to be a driver issue in the board.

Would really appreciate any ideas as to why this is happening.

System:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.2GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 980 Ti SLI
RAM: Corsair vengeance 16 GB DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
Motherboard: Asus z170 Deluxe
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Therlmaltake Level 10 Snow Editon
Monitor: Dell S2716DG 144hz 2560x1440
Keyboard: Corsair k70 RGB
SSD: 1TB Samsung 850 evo
HDD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1300W gold
Optical Drive: Asus R/W

Alcor_

Reputable
Jul 22, 2016
@Modernwarfare, I did use the original website of Asus but couldn't get my drivers installed without using device manager and manually installing them.

@maxwellmelon, The copy was purchased from microsoft's website and it runs just fine, I highly doubt it's my windows.

I really don't know what to do to fix this :c