Need help with Monitor selection

skunkone

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Ok, here's the skinny.

On the hunt for a new monitor, but also know that in the future I will be upgrading my GPU to the gtx1060.

Narrowed it down to these 2 as of now, but as benchmarks and reviews come out that may change.

EVGA 06G-P4-6161-KR 6GB
GIGABYTE WINDFORCE GV-N1060D5-6GD

also upgrading the ram to 16gb of Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) 1866

Current setup
i5-4690k @4.5ghz
Arctic Cooling AIO CLC 120mm
EK-Vardar F4-120ER (2200RPM) to replace stock AIO CLC fans with
ASRock Z97M OC Formula
SeaSonic X650 80 PLUS GOLD
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB
SilverStone Temjin Series TJ08B-E
Hitachi Ultrastar 2TB 7200RPM 64MB
PNY GTX 760 2GB 256-Bit
8gb G.SKILL 1333 (PC3 10666) OC to 1600
Asus VE248H 24"

Games played are
Battle of the Immortals x3 clients
WOW
Overwatch
Heroes of the storm
Starcraft
Diablo 3
Minecraft with 115+mods
Torchlight 2
Rocket League
Borderlands 2
Hand of Fate
Xcom 2
Dead Island Def Ed.

on average i get about 20c idle on cpu and 40-50c gaming
i keep all my fans on high, front 180mm and push pull cooler. Noise is not an issue. Cool room too.

But most of my time on PC is spent on work or browsing. I edit the pictures I take as a real estate photographer.

Photoshop Elements 13
Lightroom 6.6
Indesign CS6
DXO Optics Pro

I watch movies, netflix, youtube and a lot of multitab browsing.

1. What Is Your Country Of Origin? US

2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? (ex. Games, Movie Watching, Photo Editing, etc.) All

3. What resolution and screen size do you want? I'd like to get into 2k. 2560 x 1440

4. What refresh rate do you want? (ex. 60 hz , 70 hz.) whatever is best for what i do/use.

5. How much are you looking to spend? $200-$250max. *update, since it appears it's not possible as this price range, i'll have to up it to $300 max.

6. Brands Preferred (ex. Samsung, Acer, Asus, AOC, HP, Viewsonic, etc. ) any

7. Brands Not Preferred (state reason why) none

8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor? not at the moment.

9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable? i think 1060 does 4, whatever is out

10. What Port Do You Want To Connect To (ex. DVI-D, HDMI, etc). i think DP 1.4 gives best res.

11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display? primary

12. Is This A Secondary Display For A Laptop? no

I want brighter whites on my monitor and sharper images. Better brighter colors. I don't need viewing angle cause i'm always right in front of monitor less than 2 feet away. i can control the lights in room so lighting not an issue. I'm not a competitive gamer but i enjoy a good game regularly. Only game FPS is an issue with is minecraft cause of ultra crazy shaders and packs hence the upgrade soon when prices stabilize or prices come down. I also would like a larger screen as i'm looking for 27"+ I thought i wanted 2 monitors, but for now, finding 1 that cuts it is nice. Not sure what is best for my job/games/movies in regards to panel types. Also same with matte vs glossy. I have matte on my laptop and it's great since i use it in the car during the day but at home i think i want glossy.

skunkone

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

well naturally yes i would make the call, but i posted with the intention of seeking advice from those more experienced and perhaps having been in the same situation in the past. Perhaps a few suggestions and recommendations wouldn't hurt from a community aimed at helping it's fellow gamer.

thanks for the link. i'll research it.
update*
upon research i found it's smaller if not the same size i already have which is a negative and no display port.

skunkone

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
turns out i should have gone with the US atron version that actually has a return policy.

the ebay ones found a loophole and make you pay for return shipping which is $400 to south korea. If you contact ebay they will say it doesn't qualify for return with their help since its not from the US and paypal won't help because of same issue. My credit card company who i used to pay for it said the same. So now i have a 27" monitor with 3 dead pixels and a big green/purple line running top to bottom down the right side of screen.

got screwed hard.

lesson learned. buy monitors from newegg, even if it's the same panel that comes from korea that way if you get issues you can at least get a shipping return label to send back to them to avoid $400 out of pocket cost.

now i have a dud sitting in the box on the floor until i can sell it on craigslist for a loss.

other than that, the size, colors, brightness, resolution and speed are amazing. This is a huge upgrade and worth the money.

frank_hnd

Honorable
can you provide the link of the seller where you got this from?
never buy from ebay if you are not in the same country or close enough, I usually just buy random accessories from ebay (<$10 crap). ebay has different terms and regulations in different regions (they have to adapt to each countries requirements), so Chinese/HK/Korean versions of ebay tend to be shady...

skunkone

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

this is the one i purchased: No displayport

this is what they sent per my request as i misclicked the wrong one without DP: with DP

skunkone

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Just an update on the situation so far:

After about 20 emails back and forth involving me asking for a return label and them countering each time with more money credited back to me ($60, 80, 100) and me turning it down each time. They finally gave in and accepted sending me a return label. So after a week shipping back and a minor 1 day delay in customs, they finally got my monitor, confirmed it was defective and refunded me back my $219 to my credit card in 3 days. I was thrilled. Sure I could of kept that monitor and just ignored the issues and saved $100, but it would bother me daily and I couldn't live with knowing they do business like this and pay you off for their bad product.

In the end I went with this Pixio, and it should be here in a few days. It's got everything I need and from a California vendor with a good return policy. Buying it straight from them I feel any issues would be resolved better. Also if you use promo code "cheapestintheworld" they take $100 off so came out to $199 for a 27" IPS 1440 displayport from a US vendor with return policy under $200. Can't beat that.

oh and I know the logo looks horrible, but i'm just going to plastidip it and voila, problem solved.