HUGH 172.94GB System Reserved Partition on Windows 10

Peased2

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
Help.I have a Windows 10 PC that has a Samsung EVO850 500GB SSD. After installing the Samsung I installed Windows 7. Then I did the Windows 10 upgrade., I have encrypted the drive with bit-locker because this is required by my company.
It is showing a system reserve partition size of 174GB. This seems WAY out of line. When I go to disk management and use the Shrink command (DID NOT EXECUTE) it will shrink it to 574MB which seems more reasonable. I would even give it 10GB without much pain but 174GB. Can I do this or will it damage the system. Also if I successfully shrink it can I then expand the C: partition from its current 290GB size? And so to be clear I am talking GB not MB. My drive C: is only 290GB and the HP_Tools is only 2GB
Thanks

akseli

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
That's a bit odd. Can you see how much space is used on the disk? It should be NTFS so if you assign a drive letter to it, you should be able to see it. Or it might be possible to see the used space directly from Disk Management. Windows 10 might require bit extra room on that, if it's mostly unusud, maybe go down to 1 GB. After you've checked it, remove it's drive letter so nothing uses it.

Yes, you can expand Windows installation drive, but not with Windows tools alone. And due to encryption, I'm not sure third party programs will work on it either. If you can temporarely turn the encryption off, then Partition Wizard will allow the operation.

Peased2

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016

Peased2

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
yes very. I did the same thing on another exact model with the same Samsung SSD but did not encrypt the drive and it is normal. By that I mean it has a 100MB System Reserved partition, and a C: with 462.86 GB, a 813MB Recovery Partition, a 2.0 GB HP_Tools D:, and an 8MB unallocated. I think this is a Samsung thing because both systems have the 8MB unallocated.
Any way the trouble unit has a System Reserve drive with a capacity of 172.94GB with 172.23GB FREE. so .71GB. The shrink utility reads Total before 177087MB Size avaliable to shrink 176578MB which means there is 509MB's of files. I was going to make it 1GB. So would the correct process be to TURN OFF bitlocker. REBOOT Shrink the partition with 'Disk Manager' and then EXPAND the C:partition with Disk Manager. Or would you suggest to expand it with another tool.

akseli

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I think Disk management won't expand partition which has Windows, towards beginning of drive, Partition Wizard can do that. You can try, it will just say it can't do it if it can't. PW definetly can.

Yes I have about 600 MB used on the system reserved, so 1 GB for whole size should be enough.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/