Random 100% Disk Usage - Windows 10

Arsix4

Reputable
Jul 23, 2016
I've had this computer for around 1 year and 1/2, and around 3 days ago, I've noticed my disk usage spiked up randomly up to 99%/100% whenever I opened an app, watched a video, etc. I searched up a solution in Google, and I tried disabling Superfetch, Windows Search, scanning for virus using MalwareBytes/Avast, restoring from a restore point, changing Power Plan to High Performance, and other failed solutions I cannot remember. After I couldn't find a real solution that worked for me, I decided to factory reset my PC. Everything seemed well around the first 20 minutes after the factory reset, however, without any luck, the Disk Usage was still spiking up to 100. I used HD Tune Pro to check for any errors in my HDD using the error scan, but every block was green and everything in the Health section was noted as "ok". Any help? Task Manager Processes , Task Manager Disk Usage Performance Thanks in advanced!

Solution
Welcome, @Arsix4!

You have done a great job with the troubleshooting so far! However, I'd still strongly recommend you backup all your data from this HDD somewhere else as well. Better safe than sorry, right? These spikes might also be caused by a faulty connection to the drive and since you have exhausted all other options, I'd advise you to swap the SATA cable and also attempt to see how the HDD will act if you plug it to another SATA port on the motherboard in your PC. If you have access to another computer, you could also try connecting the hard drive there and check how it will get recognized and how it will behave.

Can you post a screenshot from the SMART results and also test the drive using the manufacturer's brand-specific...
Welcome, @Arsix4!

You have done a great job with the troubleshooting so far! However, I'd still strongly recommend you backup all your data from this HDD somewhere else as well. Better safe than sorry, right? These spikes might also be caused by a faulty connection to the drive and since you have exhausted all other options, I'd advise you to swap the SATA cable and also attempt to see how the HDD will act if you plug it to another SATA port on the motherboard in your PC. If you have access to another computer, you could also try connecting the hard drive there and check how it will get recognized and how it will behave.

Can you post a screenshot from the SMART results and also test the drive using the manufacturer's brand-specific diagnostic utility. You should be able to find it on their official website.

Keep me posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution