Looking to determine what parts I can upgrade / need to replace

TAndrewsNY

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
I have a Asrock Extreme 4 Gen 3 P67 with a Core i7. It has a ATI 5870 (I believe). 16GB of memory. No SSD currently, but I have some Samsung 500GB's laying around:) They are destined to be used in the new rig.

The system is water cooled and overclocked. I am looking to upgrade as the system is now a few years old.

First question, if I bought a GTX 1070, would I get the full benefit of it or would the board hold me back?

Second is the old Core i7 thats in it, going to hold me back?

If I needed a new build, would my CPU waterblock fit the new i7s? Or would I need to rebuild the loop? If that's the case, I'd want to just air cool it.

I'll ultimately need to upgrade the reservoir and pump in the system as its not that powerful. When I built this system it was very powerful for the time. Not so much now:(.

Any recommendation would be great!

1. The board and older hardware would hold you back a little. That core i7 is decent but it WILL bottleneck a bit, so no you wouldn't be getting the full benefit.

2. Your WB should fit LGA 115x sockets so we can rule out having to rebuild the loop. Even though I myself am not a fan of custom cooling, you can do as you wish. Honestly water cooling isnt worth it in my opinion, especially if you have to upgrade the parts in it.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

The i7 2600/2600K processor is still a good gaming chip if that's what you have and will work just fine with a GTX 1070.
If your gaming on a single 1080p monitor with a 60 refresh rate the 1070 is probably overkill I would look at the RX 480, GTX 1060 or GTX 970.
With a i7 2700K since you have water I would overclock the processor up to the 4.5 area and you can run any video card you wish.
People that talk about bottlenecks really have no clue what one is. A bottle neck is simply the slowest part of a PC doing the task at hand and this can change when doing different tasks with the same PC. Their never been a PC made without a bottleneck in it.
Its not like you have a old P2 processor and throwing a 500 buck video card in it.

TAndrewsNY

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
Ok, so I'd just need to replace the waterblock for the GPU. Nice. Big difference in price.
Would it be advisable being this is 5 years old now to build a new system? or is the base hardware powerful enough that it really wouldn't matter.

I'm not opposed to spending money, I probably wouldn't even watercool the new build unless it was worth it.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I could see your overclocked processor lasting a couple more years for gaming. A SSD would also make a nice addition for the OS and programs.
If you wish to do a rebuild then get the i7 6700K and you should be good for 5 more years or so.
EK already makes the water blocks for the GTX 1070 cards.
https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-releases-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-water-blocks/