Memory spike when renaming, moving, deleting files

The 1337 Fleet

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
Hi there,

When I move or delete a file, it will show a dialog like this:

89093d1468036961-moving-deleting-takes-long-dialog-shows-99-couple-seconds-windows-10.png

http://www.tenforums.com/attachments/general-support/89093d1468036961-moving-deleting-takes-long-dialog-shows-99-couple-seconds-windows-10.png

It turns 100% after a couple seconds and the move/delete is done. This happens even for very small files (as you can see in the above screenshot). This has never happened before, and I don't know what could be causing this. It even happens in Safe Mode.

There is a significant lag of 2-3 seconds when I merely rename a file. The same type of memory spike will occur (as will be shown below).

However, I found that if I create a new user on the system, the issues don't happen there! The issue remains on my main account...

Moreover, I see that renaming/moving/deleting causes a huge memory spike (from explorer.exe or runtimebroker.exe or settingsynchost.exe). See below.

90601d1468783724t-moving-deleting-takes-long-dialog-shows-99-couple-seconds-memory-spike.png

http://www.tenforums.com/attachments/general-support/90601d1468783724t-moving-deleting-takes-long-dialog-shows-99-couple-seconds-memory-spike.png

Also, the lag does NOT happen when I rename/move/delete a file within a popup dialog (such as when I have to select a file to upload).

Things I've tried to remedy this issue:
- Perform an in-place upgrade of Windows 10 (rather than "refreshing" the OS and losing installed programs)
- Update Windows
- Disable various services
- Disable indexing
- Uninstall recently updated or installed software (Core Temp)
- Go into Safe Mode
- Run sfc/ scannow and DISM
- Run antivirus
- Remove any newly installed fonts
- Use Nirsoft ShellMenuNew to disable context options
- Run MemTest and removing the 4GB stick that seems to be faulty (perhaps BSOD related)

Again, it does NOT happen under a different account that I created.

It feels messy to have to use a second account, so I'm thinking of just reinstalling and getting it over with... unless anyone has suggestions? Thank you!

Solution
The first dialog box isn't an error, its just a progress bar showing how fast the process is going. It is normal. If you have an SSD it would explain why bar is full

That doesn't explain the memory spikes though.

You might want to rehost the pictures on imgur as people have to logon to tenforums to access the current ones

Making new account faster than fresh install, I did it a few weeks ago. You can copy the contents of old user folders over the new user folders and not lose a thing, helps to make it an admin again. All the programs should still work.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The first dialog box isn't an error, its just a progress bar showing how fast the process is going. It is normal. If you have an SSD it would explain why bar is full

That doesn't explain the memory spikes though.

You might want to rehost the pictures on imgur as people have to logon to tenforums to access the current ones

Making new account faster than fresh install, I did it a few weeks ago. You can copy the contents of old user folders over the new user folders and not lose a thing, helps to make it an admin again. All the programs should still work.

Solution