Does the rollback feature for the Windows 10 offer work after july 29th?

Redeagle13

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Sorry for the lengthy title but as the free offer for windows 10 is coming to an end, I am thinking of upgrading last minute. But, even if I do upgrade, I dont know if the rollback option will still stay the typical 30 days after the free offer is up. So I am curious. Would it be impossible to upgrade to windows 10 temporarily and be able to roll back to windows 8.1 after july 29th (Or the Free Upgrade Offer's End Date)?

Solution

Unless someone has a time machine, all we can say is 'probably'.

It should work, within that 30 days.
But don't wait until the last day (July 28) to do this. The servers will be clogged with all the other last minute people, and you might miss out.
It must be Upgraded and activated before July 29.

USAFRet

Titan

Unless someone has a time machine, all we can say is 'probably'.

It should work, within that 30 days.
But don't wait until the last day (July 28) to do this. The servers will be clogged with all the other last minute people, and you might miss out.
It must be Upgraded and activated before July 29.

Solution

MCO16

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
I read somewhere that once the Windows 10 license is activated, the previous Windows 7 license is deactivated. Also wonder about the 30 days in this context.

USAFRet

Titan

After the 30 days, yes, sort of. You can't do a simple roll back.
You can, probably, do a full wipe and reinstall of the old Win 7.
But why bother. It's just the OS.

Remember, this licensing scheme is all new. And, as usual, MS is less than forthcoming about the exact details.
We do not know.

Overall though...it's just the OS. People use applications, not the operating system.
As I've said elsewhere...many people will not even realize it is a 'different OS', unless you tell them. I've tested this with a few people...my spouse and daughter among them.

And if they do, 30 minutes of playing with it gets over that hump.