1080p vs 1440p, what monitor type and overall pc setup?

Omid1234

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
Hello, fellow pc gamers

I'm debating what I should do regarding my first pc build. The problem lays in the decision between either going with the 1070 and 1080p or 1080 and 1440p gaming. You could say that the 1070 is the true "sweet spot" for 1440p gaming, but does that statement really hold any truth, if you want to benefit from a 144hz monitor?

I guess what I'm actually asking about: Is it worth upgrading from the 1070/1080p to the 1080/1440p?

Also, regarding the type of monitor? Does G-sync and Ips makes a noticeable difference compared to standard tn panels without G-sync? I'm already aware of the benefits of a higher refresh rate, as I have had the chance to experience the difference in person.

The main focus of the build is purely for gaming.

Lastly, now while I'm at it, could some of you more with more experience, evaluate my build?

Pc parts:

Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX GLASS
Cpu: Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake
Cpu Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61
Gpu: (1070 or 1080)
PSU: Corsair RM750x GOLD
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON, S-1151
Ram: HyperX Predator DDR4 3200MHz
Storage: 500gb ssd samsung evo 850-series

Hope my questions makes sense.

- Omid

First of all, you can go with RMX650 :)
As for the monitor, I'd say that the best option is to get 34-35" 21:9 monitor with 3440x1440p.
The G-Sync is nice to have, but I personally couldn't tell the difference between the G-Sync monitor and using Nvidia's Fast Sync (available on pascal). There is supposed to a difference, but it's not perceivable IMHO.
regarding your 144Hz question, once you cross the 100FPS, it is basically impossible to tell if you are at 120, 144 or 165FPS without seeing the FPS counter on your screen.
You can reach the 100 and more average FPS on 1440p with 1070, may be lowering some settings here and there. On 3440x1440 you going to need a 1080.
But from my experience, the monitor have a much longer lifespan than a GPU. so get the best monitor you can comfortably afford. If you have the budget left only for 1070 - not a problem, you will upgrade it in a couple of years anyway.
From my personal experience, 1070 is overkill for 1080p even at 144Hz. FPS games are running at freaking 150-200FPS. And other game types are not that sensitive for FPS since they are not that fast in terms of movement.

Omid1234

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

Thanks very much n0ns3ns3, lots of good information. Answered all my questions to the point.. I have to work en extra month to get an ultrawide monitor and the 1080, but I'm in no hurry anyways.

I'd steer clear of ultra-wide monitors. The lack of gaming support for 21:9 resolutions doesn't make them viable right now.

I disagree that you can't tell the difference once you go beyond 100 fps. I'm able to identify the difference between 120hz and 144hz pretty easily but not everyone may be in the same boat.

The GTX 1070 is ideal for 1440p 144hz if you keep a few settings down. Personally, I'd rather do that then spend another chunk of cash to get the 1080. IPS is well worth the extra cash as colours look great and the entire image has far more punch.

Well, the games support argument is not really valid - there are much more games that support it. and newer titles definitely support it or will support it.
As for the being able to tell the difference between 120 and 144 FPS - you are special.
I have 6/4 vision and can not tell the difference. Same as i can not tell the difference between 320 MP3 and FLAC on car audio :)

MGS V, Dark Souls 3, Fallout 4 and Overwatch are recent examples of games that have no native 21:9 support. Yes, there are workarounds, but the ease of implementing them varies from game to game. In the case of Dark Souls 3, where you have to install a third-party tool, you run the risk of being banned from the online service. That's a pretty valid argument.

OP, check that the games you want to play support a 21:9 monitor before you buy one.

Like I said about frame rate, I can tell the difference but other people may not. I don't know if your comment about me being special is sincere or insulting, so I'll let it fly. Given that 120hz monitors have been largely replaced by 144hz monitors, the subject is pretty moot anyway.

OP, you know about the benefits of a higher refresh rate, so I don't need to explain them. I've not experienced G-SYNC for myself but a lot of people rave about it.

In a nutshell, G-SYNC syncs the monitor's refresh rate to the game's frame rate, whilst VSync does the opposite. The issue with VSync is that a monitor's refresh rate is fixed at set values (30hz, 45hz, 60hz, etc.) and this can lead to stuttering and tearing as frames decrease and increase. G-SYNC monitors have no fixed refresh rates (up to their maximum value) so they don't experience the same issues.

Bufty2

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
Yes, it's prudent to check the available games for Ultrawide. I'm playing Witcher 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider on a Predator X34 Ultra wide 21:9 G-sync at 3440x1440 at 95Hz via a single GTX 980Ti and loving the experience. I only play one game at a time and its taken me months to get through the Wicher 3 and the two follow-ups, which got better and better.

Witcher 3 required a very minor tweak, which is available through the helpful guys on WSGF (Widescreen Gaming Forum), where a list of games that can be run on various formats and how any tweaks can be found or applied is available, and Rise of the Tomb Raider required no tweaks at all although pre-rendered cut scenes are in 16:9 which I didn't find distracting.

^it wasn't insult. There is a small percentage of people that can tell the difference even of 144vs165. the vast majority can not.
The huge improvement that is perceivable by the most people is going from 60Hz to 75Hz monitor.
Beyond that, perceivable gains are smaller and smaller.