Can I go from Windows 7 OEM to 10 free and other questions please help?

Marking

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Now That I have heard all the negative of windows 10 future subscription issues I really do not want windows 10. However I have a few questions.
#1.Windows 7 laptop with OEM (bought laptop used) will not update windows it just hangs forever. Would getting windows free upgrade cure this?

#2. Another windows 7 laptop with OEM also purchased used now has bad HDD that I will not get fixed before July 29th. What OS am I going to be able to install on it for free? ANY? or will I have to purchase one?

#3 Home built desktop (I built it in 2015 installed OEM 8.1) then did do the windows 10 free upgrade. It has a bad motherboard that I may get fixed befre july 29th. But if I don't what OS am I going to be able to end up with without paying more cash?

Solution
Another option for you to try is to download the SP1 standalone (if your OEM disk isn't already SP1) and install it, and then download and install the Convenience roll up from MS.

http://www.howtogeek.com/255435/how-to-update-windows-7-all-at-once-with-microsofts-convenience-rollup/
1. Use the Media Creation Tool and make a bootable Windows 10 USB if you just want to do a clean install. Use the existing Windows 7 key when prompted for one. If you want to do an in place upgrade, you will have to fully update 7 first, so you'll need to trouble shoot the updating issues first. There are a number of existing threads here on how to do this.

2. You should be able to get a copy of the Windows 7 OEM from the PC manufacturer to reinstall it on this laptop. Whether they will charge for it or not, I don't know.

3. If you replace the motherboard with an identical model, you won't need a new Windows license. If you replace it with something different, you can still try to reinstall your 8.1 OEM. It may not activate, though, in which case you can contact Microsoft and explain you had to replace a detective motherboard and they should reactivate it for you.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3016487/windows-update-checking-updates-stuck.html

Marking

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Thanks for your reply...

It looks like either my 2 laptops are now useless paper weights or I will have to pay after july 29th. The bad hhd one will not be fixed in time also tried to get win 10 on it before HHD died and said not a valid OEM number even though I have the sticker on the bottom of the case with the number. so wont let me download. - - -

The laptop that won't update win 7 probably won't be updated in time either as I have been trying all those many many solutions for days and days to no avail it just hangs while searching . I don't have too many 24 hour time periods to try another solution and wait all day or overnight to see if it work's which it already has not many times.

geeze this sucks.

USAFRet

Titan

They're not "useless paper weights".
Simply broken hardware, or hardware without an OS.

There's nothing wrong with staying on Win 7, rather than panicking over the end date of the free Win 10 Upgrade.
Extended support for Win 7 doesn't end for another 4 years. By which time those laptops will be way out of date.

You have 5 days for this free Upgrade. If you can't do it by then, don't panic. Use what it already has.

Marking

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
The problem is one has no operating system now because of the dead HHD and microsoft saying the OEM is not valid.

The other will not update PERIOD....Can i continue to use it for 4 years without updating?

USAFRet

Titan

Microsoft not allowing you to download the Win 7 ISO file is not because it is invalid, but rather that they expect you to get that OEM ISO from the manufacturer. This may cost $$.

When the PC was brand new, it prompted you to create your own factory reset DVD. You probably ignored that, as do 95% of other people. Ah well...

Why the other one won't run the current updates? Unknown.
But a clean install of the OS would probably fix that. Something in there is corrupt.

Marking

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I wonder if I will be able to re-install windows 7 OEM if I try a clean install on the one that won't run the current updates? Or will I not be able to activate it.

Another option for you to try is to download the SP1 standalone (if your OEM disk isn't already SP1) and install it, and then download and install the Convenience roll up from MS.

http://www.howtogeek.com/255435/how-to-update-windows-7-all-at-once-with-microsofts-convenience-rollup/

Solution