Looking for feedback on adding a 144mhz monitor as secondary monitor

mibeal

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
So in the next week I am going to be picking up a Viewsonic XG2401 for my primary gaming monitor. I want to pick up a 2nd 24" monitor to go alongside it but mainly just for multi tasking purposes, temps, browsing etc. I've never used a high refresh rate monitor before and just wondering if I should spend the extra money to make the 2nd monitor 144hz as well or simply get a nice 60hz for the secondary.

I will be adding a aftermarket 480 gpu but currently im working off a r9 270x 4gb gpu that will support dual link dvi, displayport and hdmi.

Thank you for your time and feedback

Solution
Normally, I'd say save it, go 60Hz as obviously you don't need 144Hz for browsing.
But almost everyone who has been using a 144Hz display for a time states that looking at a 60 Hz display now gives them eye cancer - even when only browsing.

If you have a 60Hz monitor right now, why not use it as secondary for now, if you really can't stand it, go 144Hz later.
Normally, I'd say save it, go 60Hz as obviously you don't need 144Hz for browsing.
But almost everyone who has been using a 144Hz display for a time states that looking at a 60 Hz display now gives them eye cancer - even when only browsing.

If you have a 60Hz monitor right now, why not use it as secondary for now, if you really can't stand it, go 144Hz later.

Solution

mibeal

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
For anyone that stumbles across this with the same quandary, I ended up picking up a 29" ultrawide 1080p monitor instead overclocked it to 75mhz. I was at best buy and it was the same price as the 24" asus 144mhz monitor and figured I would take the ultra wide for a test drive. I do like the extra space and am quite satisfied with the purchase. I was pretty under whelmed with 144mhz as a whole, I really did not see a difference in overall use ( I don't really play fps much). Some ppl said just navigating desktop was amazing, I didn't see it personally pairing the xg2401 along with the red devil 480.

Good luck if your google searches bring you here.