Is updating from Windows 7 as hassle-free as from 8?

Tigro

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I'm currently thinking about updating my Windows 7 straight to Windows 10 and I've heard nothing but praise from people updating from 8 to 10. I've tried googling the users of a similar procedure but from Win 7 and failed to find too many stories. Thus, I'd like to ask - have any of you undergone such a procedure? Would you recommend it? Has something stopped working? Has the system started to slow down after the update?

I'd just like to know if it's OK to update and nothing (performance- and comfort of use-wise) is going to get worse or if it's better to install Win 10 afresh (in which case I'd probably put this off for a few good months cause having to install everything again and migrate my data is the last thing I need now).

Solution
I've done multiple win7->win10 upgrades. Have encountered some minor issues.
Upgrade may warn about antivirus incompatibility, so you may need to uninstall it.
And graphic drivers usually need to be reinstalled after upgrade.
But other than that everything usually goes smooth.

BTW free upgrade to win10 expires next week. So if you want to do it, do it fast.
I've done multiple win7->win10 upgrades. Have encountered some minor issues.
Upgrade may warn about antivirus incompatibility, so you may need to uninstall it.
And graphic drivers usually need to be reinstalled after upgrade.
But other than that everything usually goes smooth.

BTW free upgrade to win10 expires next week. So if you want to do it, do it fast.

Solution

Tigro

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009

Thanks for the replies. Have you encountered any performance issues afterwards?

USAFRet

Titan
I've done the Upgrade from both.
No real difference.

Upgrade vs clean install? Thats a different question.
And I've done both. Usually the simple Upgrade works. Usually.

If you have little or nothing you want to keep on that drive, clean install.
If you DO have a lot of stuff on that drive, try the Upgrade. If it goes wrong, your fallback position is a clean install.

Either way, I strongly suggest a good backup, just in case.

You have 4 days.

USAFRet

Titan

One of my systems is a 2009 era low end Toshiba laptop.
It was slow before, it is no slower with Win 10. It has run Win 10 since day 1 of the Tech Preview.
2.2 Ghz Celeron, 2GB RAM, 5400RPM HDD.

I always recommend ..

1. Download Win10 to USB pen drive and also any updated drivers you can find.
2. Backup anything you cannot live without, if it goes south, Windows can be a pig to recover.
3. Do the upgrade from that and let it register.
4.. Boot from USB and do a full clean install, you get the benefit of not having any Win7 leftovers and in my opinion, systems seem quicker and more stable.

I recently upgraded 28 five year old Dell desktops from Windows 7 Pro to 10 Pro. No problems at all. I downloaded the ISO from MS and made DVDs for the install so I didn't have to do all the downloads. It took about an hour on each PC. These were 32 bit systems with 2 GB RAM. I've seen no significant performance changes.