Thread removed without giving me a reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Mak

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
So a thread i posted a few days back just got removed. It was posted under the category System, it was about a thread about completing my new PC build. After it was removed i got a personal message which states
"Your thread "New PC build" has been removed from Tom's Hardware. Please be sure to comply with the Rules of Conduct and guidelines for posting."
i believe i posted the thread in the right sub-forum. Can i get a specified reason on what i did to get my whole thread removed?

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
If there was swearing the moderator usually will just censor you and give you a warning, but there's no certainty. If you mentioned pirating or bootlegging that might have been the reason, because illegal activity is a no-no. This issue isn't a moral highground like some thieves would have you believe, it's about only obtaining things you can afford, not things you want. If your build was a jumbled mess of links, and if one of the links was flagged, that could be a reason. Did your message tell you which moderator pulled your thread? If so, PM them.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I got into an argument with a mod once that was very PG and he pulled the thread lol. He also threatened to ban or suspend my account too. I don't know where they find some of these guys. Overclock.net and hardformu.com are some great alternatives....I just use Toms for news and reviews.

Deadly Mak

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

There was nothing like that, why would i or any others swear in a thread where i'm asking advice to complete my build. The only software discussed in this thread is the operating system for which i clearly stated i had a windows 7 ultimate disc and could be eligible for windows 10 free upgrade if i finish the build fast enough, so piracy is out of the question. I just gave the build name didn't post a link with it although i did have a few replies which linked to pcpartbuilder but i'm sure that's a legit site. The author of the private message states "tomshardware". I don't if it's an actual person or if it's an automated message.
Here's the full message
"Hello Deadly Mak,

Your thread "New PC build" has been removed from Tom's Hardware. Please be sure to comply with the Rules of Conduct and guidelines for posting.

Don't want to receive email alerts? Click on the following link to unsubscribe: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/community/unsubscribeMail...

~ The Tom's Hardware Community Team "

I don't know why it asked me if i want to unsubscribe in the second line. Am i not welcome here?

Jerk alert :D

I've looked through the thread and formed the opinion the poster had given all the advice they could. Two days without a post should have told you that. When you sign up in Tom's you accepted the Rules of Conduct by signing that you'd read them and we don't like bumping threads becauise lots of far more impatient than you were, Deadly Mak have been known to bump on the hour every hour.

The Mod concerned took the right decision so it stands and I hope you can accept that. I'll be happy to PM you the content of the most recent posts so you can start a new thread quoting those and continue getting the advice you think you need.

My advice is to rethink that cooling decision in your part of the world. What sort of room temperatures do you have around that region?

Either post back here or drop me a PM.

Deadly Mak

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

I did get replies but they weren't completely satisfactory. In that thread, i specified the processor,graphics card and storage which itself actually exceeded my budget. Naturally i would want the rest of components cheap enough while also being compatible with the parts listed. Unfortunately in the replies i got, they mentioned compatible parts but didn't consider cheaper options.For example, i specified i'm not overclocking but still they listed a Z series motherboard. So i was trying to negotiate with them on giving me the best deal.

On the bumping issue, why not just remove the affected post? I was getting replies like every 2-3 hours and then stopped getting replies straight for the next 2-3 days. I didn't know what to do,i felt the thread was disappearing in to the depth of the ocean. Should i have created a new thread with the same issue if i didn't get a satisfactory answer on the first one?

It can exceed 40C in summer.

Deadly Mak said:

On the bumping issue, why not just remove the affected post? I was getting replies like every 2-3 hours and then stopped getting replies straight for the next 2-3 days. I didn't know what to do,i felt the thread was disappearing in to the depth of the ocean. Should i have created a new thread with the same issue if i didn't get a satisfactory answer on the first one?

Actually, starting a new thread would have been a good idea, adding what you want to keep or not want to buy from the list you had but the situation is what it is and hindsight is a wonderful thing none of us have.

The reality is neither I nor any other Mod will reverse a colleague's action because it was taken completely in accordance with the Forum Rules of Conduct, so now would be a good time to put it behind us all and take up my offer to ship you a copy of that latest list so you can make a new thread and get on with your build. I can copy/paste it from a deleted thread but you cannot.

Mention that 40°C in the thread because folks will advise on cooling accordingly. Good luck with the build.

Deadly Mak

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

I thought creating a duplicate thread on the same issue was worse than just bumping. I will create a new thread although i don't think i got good enough replies to add any more components to the thread. So yes, please message me the original post.
I might be wrong but i think i did mention the temperature when i was talking about the graphics card.

On a side note, how long do you think i should wait when creating a new thread on the same subject due to lack of replies.

Deadly Mak

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

Ok thanks. I also found some of my posts along with the replies in this thread removed. Can you tell me what is up with that? Since i could have certainly used that information for reference.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
That most recent thread was cleared out because it was a Hijack.

I will tell you not as a mod but as a member that I have found if you get no answers or the answers taper off like what happen to you, waiting a bit and then starting a new thread, with the question rephrased with the new info that you now have generally works WAY better than bumping. Even if you bump a thread it doesn't come up in the live feeds, so a new thread can get seen by more people. That doesn't mean create tons of new threads (we stop that) but if your thread has died off possibly because those helping you are out of ideas, waiting a reasonable time and creating a new one is fine.

Deadly Mak

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

It was an hijack, the reason why i stopped posting in it and created a new thread. However both the OP of the thread and me discussed the same topic of CPU bottlenecking so it was relevant in a way and i believe anyone who comes across the topic could have found the debate useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.