Considering moving from a Triple 1080p setup to a 1440p UltraWide

RhinoBW

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Has anyone here made the transition from three monitors to an ultrawide?

I have been gaming for the last few years on three 27" 1080p monitors running at 60hz; these are very thin bezels that I overlap and so the bezels are not all that distracting. I have a Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme on the way and I am considering selling these three monitors and buying a 34" 1440p ultrawide with G-Sync, overclockable to 100hz.

I am wondering how much better of an experience this would be and if it would be worth the $1200 for this ultrawide. There are a lot of perks to the ultrawide given the higher resolution, g-sync, and 100hz; I believe that the new GPU should be able to run many current games with the resolution at/above/close to 100 frames. However, I do lose quite a bit of width in comparison to my surround setup.

If anyone has some first-hand experience in ditching a triple monitor setup in favor of ultrawide I would love to hear your opinion.

Solution
I tried going to 21:9, but then settled on 3x 16:9 27" FreeSync at 1440p. The 1080's are 24", but even with the extra 3" on the 1440p's....I still notice a fidelity improvement.

I decided to go with a corner desk to overcome this, and now the three monitors form a 90 degree angle (the two are 45 degrees off the main monitor right in front of me). When looking straight on at the main monitor now, my L/R peripheral vision catches the monitors correctly and I barely notice the bezel (which are quite thin anyway).
Honestly i would ditch my tripple monitor setup in a heartbeat.

It doesn't render right in 9/10 games, you know what i mean.
Even when it does render correctly and developers plan for it (seems exclusive to simulation games) it just isn't all that much more immersive.

Unless you're playing games that allow dedicated use of alternate monitors like when i play Eve Online, i don't see a point in it anymore at all.

I'd go 1440p ultrawide no question.

Geekwad

Admirable
I tried to go ultrawide when I transitioned from 1080 to 1440, but couldn't stick with it. Very much depends on the games you play, and can easily see the argument for doing so, but I just wasn't happy after having such a wide FOV for so long.

RhinoBW

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

Yeah, I definitely know what you are saying. At times I feel the FOV is to a point where I am not even able to fully utilize it. The way that it stretches and gives a sort of fish-eye effect is a bit disappointing too. I feel the fluid motions of 100hz, plus the image sharpness of 1440p, may accomodate for anything seemingly lost on the FOV.

Did you transition to a 1440p ultrawide at 21:9, or a 16:9? Was the image sharpness of 1440p noticeable over 1080p and how big were your 1080p monitors?

Geekwad

Admirable
I tried going to 21:9, but then settled on 3x 16:9 27" FreeSync at 1440p. The 1080's are 24", but even with the extra 3" on the 1440p's....I still notice a fidelity improvement.

I decided to go with a corner desk to overcome this, and now the three monitors form a 90 degree angle (the two are 45 degrees off the main monitor right in front of me). When looking straight on at the main monitor now, my L/R peripheral vision catches the monitors correctly and I barely notice the bezel (which are quite thin anyway).

Solution