How can i check if i have IPS screen not by searching for model specs but some other way?

raialameer

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015
Hello, so I recently bought a refurbished laptop, and i suspect that the seller might have been lying that is why i want to check digitally the specs of this laptop and see if i have IPS screen, not by the model, is there a program or anything that i can use to detect what kind of screen i have?

One telltale sign would be viewing angles. Do the colorurs or overall quality of the display degrade if any major changes are made to your viewing angle. TN panels have poor viewing angles, while IPS panels don't have display quality dips until very extreme viewing angles. Aside from that, look up your exact laptop model and see what kind of display it has.

raialameer

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015

I clearly stated the reason why i do not want to look up my laptop model, because things can be changed..., And the other stuff you said is basic google results, of course i checked that before posting on a forum, I am not nearly sure, i have only had one monitor in my life and that was an old one...

raialameer

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015

Man come on, unexpierienced person like me obviously cant really tell the difference, is there a digital way to check it in specs or something?

raialameer

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015

I know how to google that, please, is there a digital way to check this, I have seen one monitor in my life, of course i cant tell it kinda gets a little dark...

Nobody out there is ripping out IPS panels and throwing in TN ones for a profit.

In fact i would wager that they would not be interchangeable, and that what was originally installed would be installed in a refurbished as well, the things are proprietary, not one size fits all.

Well all you can rely on is the viewing angles and visual inspection, there is no software that can tell you your panel type. The only other thing you could do would be to get monitor colour calibration equipment and check the display's colour reproduction. There is some software like Speccy or HWInfo64 which might tell you the model of the display, but you'd have to look up the specs of that display to see if it is IPS or TN, those programs aren't likely to tell you.

raialameer

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015

Who knows, what if the guy just didnt have any other screen to put on it, i just want to be 100% sure because the display is kinda weird idk

raialameer

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015

I just checked it with aida64 the Monitor Name is: CMN N156HGE-EAL , i googled it nothing popped up, where can i check what type of panel it is?

lodders

Admirable

A TN panel changes brightness A LOT as you change the angle of the screen
A IPS panel changes not at all.
If you can't tell the difference, then it doesn't matter what monitor you have.....

raialameer

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015

No it means im unexpierienced, and i still dont want to pay IPS price for a * display, i might not be aware of the change because of lack of expierience, but it still affects me.

raialameer

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015

You are a lifesaver, thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

It directly states it on the Display Mode line that it is a TN. Both IPS and TN panels are a TFT technology, just different approaches. IPS is a blanket term for several different patented technologies.

That is the exact product. CMN is likely an SKU or reseller tag. Innolux is the OEM.

TRENDING THREADS