Will a HDMI to VGA converter work?

Stromquist

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
here is my situation.....
i am looking forward to buy one of the recently released GPUs...... but 3 days ago..... my monitor just died..... no signal and doesnt even turns on when i plug in the power....... so i found one of my old monitors....... but the problem is...... it only has a VGA connection.......... seeing that the new GPUs doesnt have any analog outputs(DVI-I)........ will my monitor work if i buy and use one of those HDMI to VGA converters...........??? or is there any other way to connect my VGA monitor?? (the resolution of my monitor is 1400x900)

im only using this as a temporary solution coz i cant afford right now to buy a new GPU and a new monitor at the same time..........

Solution
Hello... NO there is NO analog signal in a HDMI cable... it is a Digital signal from your digital computer and APPs... The signal must be re-converted from digital to analog using a RAMDAC... The new cards are eliminating these chips in them... This will slow down the Display response to your Eyes too.

Check craigslist or your Local computer re-cycling store (Goodwill)... a DVI or HDMI input are common to find these days in used monitors... or plug it into a HDMI TV input till you save up for a better monitor... DVI to HDMI adaptors are available.
Hello... NO there is NO analog signal in a HDMI cable... it is a Digital signal from your digital computer and APPs... The signal must be re-converted from digital to analog using a RAMDAC... The new cards are eliminating these chips in them... This will slow down the Display response to your Eyes too.

Check craigslist or your Local computer re-cycling store (Goodwill)... a DVI or HDMI input are common to find these days in used monitors... or plug it into a HDMI TV input till you save up for a better monitor... DVI to HDMI adaptors are available.

Solution
I have used some DP to VGA adatpers, more specifically these ones here

http://www.bestlinknetware.com/Product/184032

and they DO work (Not sure exactly how but they DO) and have used a few of them. I have also used their HDMI to VGA

http://www.bestlinknetware.com/Product/110911

and work as well.

Now I have ONLY used these to just do inital installs on PC's since the USB KVM switch i use is only VGA and since these newer dells PC's (The Optiplex X040 to be exact) don't come with a VGA unless you buy it direct and add the VGA option in. Otherwise using a DP/HDMI/DVI adapters are no issue but I have NOT done any kind of gaming or anything what so ever on them so i have no idea what their limit is or how good they really are. For Office use they work perfectly, but other than that I can not say.