Computer freeze and crash with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION bsod

TopMark

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
I keep getting this DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION bluescreen, about once per day sometimes more. The computer will freeze and about 30 seconds later the bluescreen will appear and it will restart. This usually happens when watching on Amazon Video and playing Eve Online. I have tried to do research but everything I have done that was suggested, including: installing latest graphics drivers, running Memtest86 (2 passes) with no errors, and uninstalling AV software has not helped. I have tried to monitor temperatures throughout and there does not appear to be any unusually high readings.

The crash creates a Critical error in Event Viewer with the following information

EventID: 41

Source: Kernal-Power

BugcheckCode: 307

here is a link to the mini dump created by Windows after the crash https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmTrtiDOymosgzN8o_7OyoHaaHaY
Any help would be appreciated.

go to https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/ZH77AG43.html#down-driver&Win10 64
and install the LAN driver and the audio driver, I would also pick up the new bios version (2 versions out of date)

remove this driver MBfilt64.sys it is a very old realtek audio driver
if you do not use your motherboards built in sound, go into bios and disable it. and reboot.
go into windows control panel, device manager and disable any sound source that you do not have speakers
Note: if you have speakers in your monitor the video cable might provide the sound support.
if not you can disable the nvidia sound support and the intel graphics sound support.

Note: when you make any change in BIOS or update it then the BIOS will rescan for your hardware and build a database of hardware settings that it will send to windows. This will help remove conflicts because then windows will know what settings were in use and can assign settings to the other sound devices.

you also have a few very old intel files:
like ISCTD64.sys Tue Nov 27 11:52:34 2012 Intel Smart Connect Technology Driver
you might want to update or remove the files:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/technologies/intel-smart-connect-technology.html

I would also go here and have intel scan for updates. (you had one old intel management engine file from 2012)
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/
HECIx64.sys Mon Dec 17 11:32:21 2012 (or you can remove the intel management files if you don't use the software)

----------
memory dump shows:
system was running networx.exe - Glarysoft
at the time of the crash

MBfilt64.sys Thu Jul 30 20:40:32 2009
IntcDAud.sys Tue Sep 09 05:13:01 2014
RTKVHD64.sys Tue Jun 16 03:55:05 2015
nvhda64v.sys Tue May 10 01:59:01 2016 (GPU sound driver)
cthda.sys Sun Mar 15 19:49:55 2015 (sound blaster audio driver)
machine info:
BIOS Version V1.7
BIOS Release Date 12/24/2012
Manufacturer MSI
Product ZH77A-G43 (MS-7758)
Version 1.0
Processor Version Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Processor Voltage 35h - 5V 2.9V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 3800MHz
Current Speed 3200MHz

---------------
kernel power log entry will always happen after a system bugchecks. It just means the system detected that the last shutdown did not complete.
(it will happen if you kill the machines power or get a bugcheck)
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION means some hardware did not respond within the required timeout period.

I think video has a 2 second timeout and a storage device has a 30 second timeout.

as a first attempt to fix this you should go to your motherboard vendors website and install the various drivers for your motherboard.
- old network drivers can mess up nvidia graphics cards streaming software and lead to this timeout.
- old SATA or chipset drivers can cause the storage drive to get confused and not respond within its timeout
- old audio drivers can mess with the gpu sound support and cause the gpu driver not to respond.
- old USB drivers can cause a core of your CPU to hang and also cause this error.

the BIOS supports all of the hardware and if it is out of date it should be updated along with the other motherboard drivers.

I will also take a look at the memory dump but this error generally requires kernel memory dump rather than a mini memory dump.
(kernel dump has the proper info for debugging)

TopMark

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

Thanks so much for the comprehensive answer, I updated the drivers I could find on MSI's website and flashed the latest BIOS. I disabled the on board audio and disabled all audio devices other then the driver for my sound card. I also disabled NetWorx, encase that is a conflict. I just had a quick question in regards to removing MBfilt64.sys, how do I go about doing that? Also how do I find and remove the older files you were mentioning such as the Intel Smart Connect etc.?
Also the hang time before the bluescreen is about 30 seconds, does this mean it is a storage issue?

Thanks, TopMark