Advice for a new comer in watercooling

irexygorawr

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
Planing to do my watercooling next year. Just planning everything. Dont have any fitting ideas yet, but my list is here. Idk how much cooling i will need for VRMS and CPU Cooling. Gonna OC til temps are reaching at most50*C. Here is my loop design. Didnt plan on doing 2 360s because this image made it a bit sketchy for me. The fans are super close to the front rad.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
If you are only cooling your CPU and voltage regulation modules on your board, you don't need both of those radiators. You could very easily get by on the single 360 or the 240. If you plan to do a lot of overclocking, go with the single 360. If you add your GPU at any point in the future, you will want to include that 240 rad. Is there a reason you are going to get the VRM block, or just because?

Edit: I'd also flip that 360 so your I/O ports are on the bottom so you don't end up airlocking your pump out of the radiator.

irexygorawr

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016

Planning to OC a lot , and i heard if you OC hard, VRMS will heat up. So im planning to cool that off also. How would you do the loop if the radiator is top receive.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The reservoir doesn't necessarily have to receive water in the top port. Most of those tops have an actual I/O that is at the base. The 'top' port is typically used to fill and prime the pump and reservoir, not to be the reservoir inlet.

irexygorawr

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
True but im getting a MMRS Stype 1 with 3 ports top and a aD5 pump with a pump cover. So the top is my inlet with a aqua-pipe and my fill port

irexygorawr

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016

My new loop design. What do you think? Instead of front rad, i did a top rad, Doubt there would be an airlock. or should i continue with the front rad
Or should i use an X-Flow rad.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Cross flow rad isn't really going to give you anything different - it's just a different port and flow design.

It really doesn't matter if that is your new design, you should be OK. The only reason the air lock problem occurs is when you have a point at which air can accumulate and cause flow to stop due to the design of the loop components. The fact that air is less dense than water while water is the primary coolant of the system as well as lubrication for the pump impeller is key when it comes to stoppage in flow. This is why you always see people talking about a reservoir sitting higher than a pump inlet to prevent air moving up into the pump housing, when it should be able to collect in the reservoir. As long as this exists, you just need to continually work air out of the loop and displacing collected air in the reservoir with more water as you go during the filling period.