Upgrading to SSD and using free windows 10 upgrade at the same time on clean install?

zjmonkey

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
My plan is to use the windows media creation tool to perform a clean install of windows 10 onto an SSD. I will install all appropriate drivers and then I will plug in my old HDD which is running windows 7 OEM.
So, 4 questions:
Will I be able to authenticate windows 10 with the windows 7 OEM license from my HDD using the free upgrade?
Will I first have to upgrade to windows 10 on my HDD?
Would the old windows 7 installation on my HDD still work and/or cause problems for me?
Will I be able to access files from the old HDD from windows 10 running from new SSD?

PS: The SSD I ordered has ~250GB and my current HDD is using 594/931GB, so cloning won't be an option and I would like a clean install if at all possible.

Solution

It must be installed and activated before the 29th.
With the clean install, you enter your Win 7 license. So yes, it is consumed.
If you have OEM, consider updating to 10 now, before you add the SSD. OEM licenses work a bit differently and might not be able to activate doing the clean install upgrade.

As for old Win 7 working, it's illegal (violation of EULA) to keep the old OS installed on a working computer, but you will be able to access any non-encrypted files on the disk (and encrypted ones if you know the password)

octavecode

Distinguished
First you need to upgrade your win7 copy to win 10 using your HDD.Once you upgrade to 10 and your copy gets digitally activated remove your HDD and do a fresh install of Win10 on the SSD. After that just reattach the HDD as a second drive. Best thing to do in order to feel safe is before you start upgrading to 10 backup your files in an external disk. Also keep in mind that you got 2 days left to upgrade.

USAFRet

Titan
You can do a clean install of Win 10, on the SSD, using your existing Win 7 license.
As of the release last November, you can do this.

The old Win 7 license will be consumed in the Upgrade to Win 10. You can't use both.

If you've only ordered the SSD and have not received it yet, you may be out of luck. The free Upgrade to Win 10 runs out in 2 days.

zjmonkey

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

SSD arrives Thursday 28th. Windows 10 free upgrade ends 29th. Will the windows 7 license be consumed just by installing the upgrade on the ssd paired with same hardware and product key ? Thanks everyone else for answering so far BTW

USAFRet

Titan

It must be installed and activated before the 29th.
With the clean install, you enter your Win 7 license. So yes, it is consumed.

Solution