Is it safe for the computer to plug in a monitor with the power on?

Ramnauth

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
Essentially my computer is connected to the DVI port in my monitor. However, often during gaming the monitor power cable (the kettle lead) becomes loose, shutting the monitor off. Usually, I just put the power cable back into the monitor without first powering off the system.

While I am aware that hot-swapping cables from the back ports of the monitor such as DVI and VGA potentially poses a risk, my question is; does removing and re-plugging the monitor's power cable while on pose a risk for not only the monitor but more importantly the devices attached to the monitor for example the video card that is plugged into it?

If it is any help my monitor is the Samsung SyncMaster P2250.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I think I've done it plenty of times in the past. I have this monitor which I still have and I'm currently using where it was connected to my old power strip that I have stored away and it would shut off the monitor then turn it back on just from a few small movements on the cables at the back and not plugging it in all the way. It never did anything bad, it never does it anymore, probably because at the time it wasn't plugged in properly the cable at the back of the monitor or my new surge protector is better than the power strip.

ChaoticWolf

Honorable
I think I've done it plenty of times in the past. I have this monitor which I still have and I'm currently using where it was connected to my old power strip that I have stored away and it would shut off the monitor then turn it back on just from a few small movements on the cables at the back and not plugging it in all the way. It never did anything bad, it never does it anymore, probably because at the time it wasn't plugged in properly the cable at the back of the monitor or my new surge protector is better than the power strip.

Solution