IPISB-CU (Carmel 2) Motherboard BIOS Issue

apisano91

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
Ok so here is my dilema.

I am trying to revive my old desktop and give it a slight refresh for current gaming.

It is an HP Pavilion P6-2020t.

I currently have only upgraded the OS software to Windows 10 and the RAM to 8GB.

I have (arriving in the mail today) a Intel Core i5 2400 CPU @ 3.1GHz (Sandy Bridge) to replace the original CPU (Intel G620). On top of hearing about this motherboard not taking any CPU it is not built with, I am hoping this is not the issue as I went with HP's recommended up-gradable CPU's. I also have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO to go with the new CPU.

Now, in addition to upgrading the CPU (if that works), i had planned on upgrading the GPU and power supply as well.

I had my mind set on a EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB and Corsair CX Series, CX500, 500 Watt (500W) Power Supply, 80+ Bronze Certified.

Now after reading what i did online about issues with both this motherboard and BIOS issues, i contacted NIVIDIA tech support.

After a lengthy discussion with an agent, he advised me to update the BIOS (as mine is AMI 7.16 10/5/2011) and that there should be no issue running the 960. He even went as far as to say they would take back the GPU no questions asked if it didn't run properly, however I would prefer to avoid that whole hassle.

So my question is, is there a BIOS update for this motherboard that would allow it to run a 960 and if so has anyone successfully gone through this update. Naturally at the time I am writing this, HP's website is "experiencing technical difficulties with software and driver updates" and is not allowing me to physically search for a BIOS update or any update in that case.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks

Your question is, is there a BIOS update for this motherboard that would allow it to run a 960 and if so has anyone successfully gone through this update?

No, you won't be able to use a GTX 960 with the Pavilion P6-2020t. You need a better motherboard.

BIOS update is not for using newer video cards.

This package provides an update to the IPISB-CU Motherboard BIOS for the supported desktop models and supported operating systems.
File name: sp56122.exe
Release details
Released: Feb 6, 2012
Version 7.16 Rev. A
Fix and enhancements
- Adds support for 'S4/S5 Wake on LAN'.
- Resolves blue screen error (7B) after pressing Ctrl+Home keystroke combination