Need advice with scientific computing workstation

therickaman

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Hello All,

To begin, let me first say that I am an absolute beginner at building computers. I'd like to build (or buy) a computer that is extremely fast for arbitrary precision mathematics with perhaps thousands of digits. This would essentially be the only use for this computer. My budget for this computer would be at most 400 dollars. I know that may sound terribly low, but it seems to me that it is possible to build a high quality computer given my needs.

For my needs, I'd like to build a linux server which I can use ssh to program on the machine. Honestly, graphics is not essential for me since I'd probably only use the terminal. It would be nice to perhaps have the ability to plug a monitor into the computer for initial setup or maintenance, but even then I'd only need a terminal. One day (after I graduate) it would be nice to have the ability to upgrade the graphics so that I can use HDMI out to a TV, so that I could watch videos on the TV using the computer...but that is not essential for the time being. The same holds for sound.

I'd like to be able to run this computer 24/7 from home but be able to ssh into the computer from any where online. I'd like to have a hard drive of at least 500 Gigs or more, to store pictures, video, or music from other computers (but not view/use them). The ability to upload files to this machine quickly through an ftp connection is essential. I should note that I would only use a wired ethernet connection.

The major part of this build would be the CPU(s) and the RAM. I'd like to get the most cores I possibly can get given the constraints given above. I would think I'd be able to create at least a 12 core machine given the above constraints, perhaps even 16 cores. The applications I'd make could be single threaded (for which I'd run many instances of the program with different instances at the same time) or create applications that use many threads for one running instance. The programs I create usually does some kind of long running computation and prints it into a file, so file I/O may need to be fast. I'm assuming here that since I'd be using linux, intel would probably be the best bet on chip type. I'm also assuming that I'd probably need fast RAM for this computer.

I'd like to make this into a behemoth of computing power for arbitrary precision arithmetic. I've looked into the HP Z600 series on ebay, and it seems like that could be a route towards this build. I've also considered a rack mount server, like an HP Proliant DL 160.

Like mentioned earlier, I am new to this idea of building a computer. Please forgive me if I'm liberal with my verbal description of the computer I'd like to create or buy.

Any type of parts list or general help would be much appreciated, and thank you for your help and time.

Devildjinn

Honorable
Jun 4, 2015
If you don't mind second hand parts, you can pick yourself up a server motherboard with dual sockets.
Get a pair of Xeon e2670 CPUs, which are very very cheap for their performance for a total of 16 core and 32 threads.
However, you will be limited to ddr3 ram, which is cheap too, but still quite fast.
Hope this helps.
Good luck with your build.

therickaman

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

Thanks for your response. I haven't had a chance to reply until now.

I've looked into your solution (which is what I'm probably going to do), and I have a few more questions. Firstly, do I need a graphics card in order to use just the terminal? I know that's a noob question, but I really don't know.

I'm assuming the motherboard (according to the one I pick) will have an ethernet jack. Is this correct also or do I need to get a card for that as well?

Devildjinn

Honorable
Jun 4, 2015
Look at the board your buying, it probably will have onboard graphics via vga/d-sub out.
Again, you will need to look at the board to see if it comes with Ethernet.
Not boards are all the same, but generally dual cpu server boards come with quite a number of pcie slots, which you could plug any of the aforementioned hardware for quite cheap.
If you are still unsure still, post a link/pic of the board your interested in and I can take a look and tell you what you will need.

therickaman

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

Thank you for your quick reply. The motherboard I'm looking at is probably overkill to be honest. I'm looking at buying the ASRock EP2C602 SSI EEB Server Motherboard Dual LGA 2011 DDR3 1600/1333/1066. The item is given at the URL: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157352. Although, I'll probably buy from ebay.

The CPU I'm thinking of buying is two Intel Xeon e5-2650 (sr0kx) like the one given at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4GH3AA8209&cm_re=sr0kx-_-9SIA4GH3AA8209-_-Product. Again, I'll probably buy from ebay. I'm not sure about the coolers yet.

For the power supply, I think this would be sufficient (or overkill) the Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold fully modular atx power supply. I'd also like to get a battery backup, so that the computer is always on. The URL is given by: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139056&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

I should have no problem picking a hard drive, I'll get an SSD 1TB. Haven't looked into those yet.

I'll probably buy a small amount of ram at first, probably 8GB. Shouldn't have a problem picking that myself. I'll add more later. The only thing that comes to mind is "ECC Ram". I'll have to research that more later.

As far as a case, I'll probably try my best to re-purpose a very very old PC tower (Windows 98 days). I may be able to rig it up to work until I can get a decent and respectable case.

I think I'll buy this computer over the next two or three months, piece by piece. Because of that, I don't mind going over budget a little. Eventually, I'd like to get a nice video card...and a card so that I can send video out to TV so I can use Kodi. I hope for it to eventually become my media center. What would you buy first?

Yeah, the computer of my dreams is one that I can use as (listed by priority):

1. A scientific computing station with many threads so I can do some hardcore mathematics through SSH from another computer, anywhere in the world.

2. A web server so that I can run a very small personal website. Also, the website will allow my wife to upload her pictures through the site to the computer.

3. Connect the Computer to TV through HDMI so that I can watch TV through the computer, by preference I'd like to be able to use a remote.

Devildjinn

Honorable
Jun 4, 2015
That all looks pretty good.
I think it's gonna blow your budget put quite a bit though, which is fine if you have the funds.
The motherboard has everything you need, no need for extra cards.
Personally, I would get motherboard first then CPUs, then cpu coolers, doesn't matter the order of everything else, entirely up to you.
Try not to skimp on cpu coolers, if your CPUs are going to be stressed over long periods of time, your going to want to keep them cool.
Looks pretty good though, nice :)

therickaman

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

Thanks again for the quick reply. I do have another question (sorry). Is it possible to run the motherboard with one CPU, then add the second later?