Star Citizen rig

Fuun

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Hello everyone,

I'm currently in planning of a new rig mainly for Star Citizen but also some other games, but let's focus on Star Citizen here.

My budget is around 3000 dollars but I would like to spend less if possible.

My main concern is being able to play it in 1440p Maxed out settings with 60 FPS.
Don't really need hundreds of fps myself.

Here is a rig I've made in my mind so far.

CPU Intel Core i5-6600K

CPU Cooler Corsair H100i

Motherboard Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666

Storage I already have SSDs and HDDs

GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition (2-Way SLI)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition (2-Way SLI)

Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass

PSU Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum

Monitor LG 34UC87C 34.0" 60Hz

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Wired Laser Mouse

Headphones Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones

Microphone Blue Snowball

The reason I chose Stock GPU coolers and Dominator platinum is aesthetics and I might put them in a loop later on.
I don't really want to sacrifice on that.
Main question is do I need the 2 way SLI 1070 for 1440p Max settings or would I be fine with a single 1070.
Also, as SC is still in Alpha, would I be better waiting a year or so and get better hardware for the money or is this enough for SC?
If you see anything that would be better for the same price or even cheaper please help me out.
Also, any better curved 1440p monitors in this price range?

Thanks in advance.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
In theory that should work well for Star Citizen. However as a fellow Star Citizen player I will say, try not to be disappointed if its a mess.

I get an update to that game and it runs great and smooth, then another update comes out and it runs like complete garbage. Now the system you are building is far faster than mine but if you look at the Star Citizen forums you will find folks with powerful systems having issues, and then others not. Like you said its still in Alpha.

Personally I haven't played in a few months, which is generally what happens. I play for a while, its OK, then they release an update, it breaks the game, I get annoyed and wait a few months to try again. The latest update despite upgrading my GPU plays hella worse on my system.

Regarding your build, do not by 4x4gb there is no advantage, Z170 is only dual channel, get 2x8gb. Also right now SC doesn't officially support SLI, but there is a way to force it (just google or check the SC forums). Previously I had crossfired cards and did work fine. You do need as much horsepower as you can throw at it, as the game is not optimized well at all. Given the rate its progressing its gonna be a LONG time before it is.

SC has the potential to be a great game, and the parts that are available when they work are awesome, combat is fun and exciting and the ship controls were great (last update they changed and I barely played). Just, IMO, don't spend too much money on it. I got the game for free from AMD and spent $5 to upgrade my ship. I'm glad I didn't spend more than that yet.

Fuun

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

Yeah I can imagine issues but I wanna really just want to get ready so the final release and squadron 42 I can play maxed out, I can live with issues until the final release.
Thanks for the suggestion on the RAM!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Thats a good way to look at it then. Mess around with it, get used to the game engine, but wait to really get in until its done. Also I think Squadron 42 is sold as a separate release developing concurrently, but don't quote me on that.

For the time being House of the Dying Sun is a fun short burst space combat distraction and only 20 bucks on steam, also No Mans Sky will be out shortly. That PC will play both games maxed no problem (especially HoTDS, it has very retro graphics).

Fuun

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

Yeah I think it's a separate release but Im gonna buy it ofcourse haha.And thanks for those game suggestions, they seem pretty cool.
As for someone who always loved scifi and used to watch Stargate instead of Cartoon Network the gaming industry is looking pretty good.Can't wait for the new Mass Effect either.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yes it seems like we are headed back towards the early-mid 90's renaissance of good space combat games.

I'm sure your new rig will run the new Mass Effect very well even though its so far away. What you have will be very powerful.

TRENDING THREADS