BSOD, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION on Windows 10

ATensor

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
So basically, I started to randomly get these BSOD. I reinstalled windows 10 after receiving the system service exception error multiple times and now I'm receiving these IRQL errors. Most of them occur when the system is under a high load: playing games, running a docker or virtual box etc.

I ran a memtest last night for about 10 hours, 7 passes over multiple different tests and found no errors in my memory. When I run WhoCrashed, it just gives me very vague responses about a driver that it couldn't verify. I'm not overclocking my CPU, memory or GPU and 6 or so fans inside my computer seem to be fine. If anyone has any ideas of what I can do i would appreciate it.

Here are my Minidump files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6XnlZ2y5Ernd0ZDTzhlSlZ4MUE/view?usp=sharing

The general specs of my machine are:
asustek m5a99fx pro R2.0 with amd fx 8350FX8 with 16 gigs of ddr3 ram and nvidia gtx770. I am also using 2 disk hard drives (no solid state).

Solution
I might have solved this problem by my self. I am now under the belief that the problem is dust and subsequently heat.

I tried removing all of the Razer trash from my computer (I hate that company despite owning a few of their peripherals) as suggested above and I've updated as many drivers as I was able to find (removing many of the meaningless ones as well). After getting to a point where all of my drivers were passing the driver verification with no problem, I started to see crashes that were focusing around directx and the directx kernel rather than just the Microsoft kernel like before. While I still had a few random crashes here and there while on the desktop, most of my crashes came from opening a specific game and playing...
the other 3 bugchecks were also caused by bad memory address passed to drivers but I can not tell why other than they came from some service. It could be the old razer software has a installed running service that talks to the old razer driver. I can not dell with these memory dumps. I would uninstall the software and make sure any razer service is removed then update the software if you can. and just see if the problem goes away. If it does not then you have to turn on debugging flags to get the system to bugcheck at the time of corruption rather than when the corrupted data breaks some random software.
--------------
I would think that most likely this driver overwrote some other drivers data and caused the system to crash;
\SystemRoot\system32\drivers\Lycosa.sys Fri Jan 18 00:51:42 2008

Razer Lycosa/Razer Tarantula Keyboard Driver
http://drivers.razersupport.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view&_m=downloads&_a=view
I can not be sure without setting debug flags using verifier.exe and changing the memory dump to kernel and looking at the next system crash
but I would just skip that and update that driver or remove it.

----------
you also want to install the motherboard driver updates that shipped just after windows 10 shipped to to prevent some other problems.
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/HelpDesk_Download/
sata, lan and audio drivers were updated. (your bios is the current version)

here is a list of some of your other old drivers, I would think that the amd chipset drivers would update the usbfilter.sys, and the two other amd drivers.
you might go to amd and see if you can get a windows 10 AMD 990FX/SB950 chipset drivers.
you might look here to try to find it: http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/chipsets/9-series

the asio.sys driver is part of Asus PCProbe Utility
you might want to look for a update for it also.

old drivers
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbfilter.sys Tue Aug 28 18:27:12 2012
\SystemRoot\system32\drivers\Lycosa.sys Fri Jan 18 00:51:42 2008
\SystemRoot\SysWow64\drivers\AsIO.sys Wed Aug 22 02:54:47 2012
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\amd_sata.sys Mon Sep 17 01:40:39 2012
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\amd_xata.sys Mon Sep 17 01:40:43 2012

ATensor

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

That actually makes quite alot of sense. I just recently had to replace my Razor Blackwidow keyboard with this older Razor Lycosa keyboard. The BSOD didnt happen until i changed keyboards so if its bad old drivers as a result of this bad old keyboard than i can easily fix it by removing all the bad drivers and buying a new keyboard. I'll update if this corrects the problems.

Thats weird that its telling you the sata/lan and audio drivers are old because i wet to that website and picked up those drivers. Ill try reinstalling them just in case anyhow.

Thank you.

Edit:

So I removed the Razor driver + service and reinstalled all of the ASUS/AMD drivers for my motherboard. Everything seemed to be going well for a while and then i hit yet another system service exception.

I tried to run driver verifier with all of the flags enabled as they suggest on the windows 10 help article and basically was stuck in a boot loop because it couldn't verify my sata driver. I don't think my Sata controller is the problem of course but its annoying that i cant move past it to check any of the other drivers.

Any suggestions on how i should proceed with enabling the debug flags and forcing a crash that could give us more constructive information?

ATensor

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
I might have solved this problem by my self. I am now under the belief that the problem is dust and subsequently heat.

I tried removing all of the Razer trash from my computer (I hate that company despite owning a few of their peripherals) as suggested above and I've updated as many drivers as I was able to find (removing many of the meaningless ones as well). After getting to a point where all of my drivers were passing the driver verification with no problem, I started to see crashes that were focusing around directx and the directx kernel rather than just the Microsoft kernel like before. While I still had a few random crashes here and there while on the desktop, most of my crashes came from opening a specific game and playing anywhere between 5-30 minutes.

I researched the Nvidia driver and saw that some people were having issues with it so I rolled it back thinking that perhaps maybe the driver just didn't work well with my chip. At first this seemed to work but then the crashes started happening again. I then did a bit more research on the specific crash types that center around ntoskrnl.exe and one of the suggested reasons was corrupt system files. I ran SFC and it fixed quite a few files in the system. I've tried looking at the log it produced for things related to the directx sys files but that thing is extremely long and I was unable to find out if these were corrupted and fixed. After running SFC, I started opening my hardware monitor and playing some other games to see how hot my hardware was getting mainly out of curiosity (my hardware was getting much hotter than it normally should). There's a lot of dust in my computer and I need to get some duster to remove it but for now, there really isn't much i can do until i can get to a store (I thought i had a few bottles but they are all missing straws so they are useless).

My bios was also set to performance mode. While I never personally overclocked my CPU or GPU on this rig, I believe that this setting was slightly overvolting both these components (aka slightly overclocking them as well) which was obviously not helping anything as far as the BSOD were going. I set it the balanced setting and reset my machine. Still however, the heat wasn't really going down to acceptable levels (89 degrees on my GPU with 4 active case fans, an active GPU fan and an aftermarket CPU heat sink seems extremely high.) I haven't had a BSOD since i ran SFC but I'm not sure if it was the reason or if it's the re-tuning of the bios or if its the slight cleaning of the dust I did. I will try to push the machine as hard as I can after I fully clean out all of the dust to see if any BSOD recur. I am hoping that the BSODs were just from overheating and not from something more because the only other options at this point would be physical hardware. While i have a spare Motherboard, CPU and GPU id rather not use them because they are inferior to my current setup.

I know that whatever cause these BSOD had to be something outside of the software because It persisted through a new installation of windows 10. The only things that didn't change after reinstalling windows 10 are the driver versions of all of the current drivers running like the Nvidia drivers, the windows updates, the bios and the state of the hardware. through process of elimination it had to have been hardware or bios related (i actually hoped it was just this shitty razer keyboard, it would give me yet another reason to hate that company).

Update: I was able to resolve the problem completely. It was caused by corrupted DirectX sys files at least with this particular installation of windows. The installation before was probably corrupt files though I'm not sure which ones.

Solution