Windows upgrade is not downloading, stays on "Please, wait" screen

Astralv

Distinguished
I am attempting to upgrade 2008 laptop with Win 7 Pro. I click on the Win10 icon, it opens window with the list of why I should upgrade and "Upgrade Now" button. I click on it and it says, "Please, wait". I am waiting and waiting since last night and nothing happens. It said- my computer is ready for Win10, so what am I waiting for? It is not a high traffic- last night I upgraded another computer and it did not have to wait- it just went on to copy files and install. This one makes me wait. And wait. It been sleeping while I was at work but I try again and it still doing the same thing. It is possible that the other computer had Win10 already downloaded. This one is wireless, not hard wired- can it be that it can not download over WiFi? The internet is working on it. But should I keep waiting? is it an error? Did anybody see it before? It really is last evening I can do it. Does it mean- I should not upgrade? I have Win10 disk I made a year ago. The Win10 version on it is likely outdated- should I use it to install? Is there a place I can manually download Win10? Thank you.

Solution
3gb sounds about size of win 10. I thought you downloaded the media creation tool and was going to make a USB. or ISo. What did you do/?

Your CPU better than what I had, my CPU was only 2.40ghz and my HDD was a Velociraptor so I never got the speed of an SSD until last year... if only I had known. My PC could have lasted a few more years with one of those but I was constantly out of ram too, 3.5gb wasn't enough for me anymore. I didn't go 64bit as I had programs that didn't work in 64bit.

Now I have a PC that is probably better than I need. It will be a few years before 16gb of ram feels crowded, and my PC isn't even running at its fastest, its still fast enough for me. Only times I get any slow down is running an AV scan on my...

Astralv

Distinguished
Thank you for the link. Started downloading from Microsoft web site. It downloaded, then said- it installing Win 10. And now it just sits at 99% over night. Now what can I do? I will have to leave it on while I am at work, and this is a lap top- not best idea as it heats up.
Thank you.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Common Problems
Upgrade will get stuck at 99% and there doesn't seem to be a single solution that works for everyone. First, its better to resolve missing driver issues before upgrading (as suggested by other answers). Here is what I did to get past 99%.

Let it run for sufficiently long time say 3 hours.
Stop the windows service: "Windows Update" and wait a couple of minutes
If this doesn't help start the service again.
Use process-explorer to kill SetupHost.exe that is a child of WindowsUpgradeAssistantApp.exe.
Wait for the assistant to report "Something went wrong," and use the "Try Again" option. This should repeat the usual download, verify and install cycle except that at about 45% a blue interface will popup.

The new popup UI will start in "Getting Updates," phase and believe it or not there are far more reported incidents of that getting stuck. To resolve it:

1. Stop "Windows Update" service
2. Clear all contents of "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution"
3. Start the service again (if needed).
This should hopefully unblock the tool, but it will come back to the "Getting Updates" state again. Give it some time and if it gets stuck again, follow Step 1 and 3.

http://superuser.com/questions/1087029/windows-10-upgrade-assistant-stuck-at-99

Astralv

Distinguished
Sounds like a plan, thank you for your post. Missing drivers? It does not ask for any missing drivers, also it was upgraded from Vista to Win 7 (clean install) and I installed all drivers I could find on a Dell web site- it was working fine, I thought.

I am at work now, left the lap top on- it was warm. I set it to not sleep, so I hope it does not overheat from being on and not burn my house down. Also I did close the top and screen went off- don't know if it would make it sleep. It is too bad that there is not much time to do it. Do I need to report the issue to Microsoft some how- would they issue the extension for timed upgrade, as tonight it will end. I also have Win10 on old disk, but I dont think it is download problem- it is installation problem. What would happen if I restart? This is not a typical Win10 upgrade where it is a black screen with circle showing percents completed. My Laptop is still at a desktop. I can use internet, open programs- it looks like it installing it on a background because it does not affect the operations. Not like my desktops that were not accessible during the upgrade. So if it was still accessible- does it mean- it did not start actual installation? (Looks like it is different process when installing from Microsoft web site using upgrader). It said- it finished downloading and installing... I dont know if it sleeps when the top is closed- I dont know what I will find 10 hours later. Thanks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i copied that all from the link so the missing drivers thing relates to posts higher up in the source link :)

i think it does sleep with top closed (Never had a laptop),

Try the steps in that post and see how you go.

It should download over WiFi just as easy as over Ethernet, maybe a little slower deepening on its speed (My Ethernet generally 4x faster than WiFi so I use it)

Microsoft won't give extensions as they have given a year already to install it

Astralv

Distinguished
It is on wired internet now (at home). Have to deal with it tonight after work. I need to know what it was doing and if it is too late to leave it as Windows 7. It says- it installing Win10, so- where does it install it- will it fail to boot if I restart is the question.

Ok, will resume in the evening. Thank you.

UncleWick

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
I just went through this last night... it got to 99% and stuck there, everything thing i read said rebooting or restarting would just start all over so i let it sit there... took a while (if i said 4 hours i would be close) but it did install...

this is my experience with it, good luck with yours

Astralv

Distinguished
No, it did not work. It stayed at 99%. I posted this question on Microsoft forum and was advised to install it with media creator and then contact Microsoft support chat to request activation. I am not sure they will give me activation, so I probably should give up. It did created almost 3 Gb folder called Windows10Upgrade- I don't know if I should delete it, and don't know what else it created or installed.

Astralv

Distinguished
Thank you for your kind concern. It would be nice if I knew direct number to call them. Chat involves typing and it would take entire evening to explain all this and ask the questions. Plus- I am so used to tech support that has no idea what is going on- unfortunately...

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you not ask them to call or I guess they might be in a foreign country and not speak same language. I know in win 10 there are contact numbers in the activation screen, but only if your PC won't activate. I cannot remember enough about Win 7 to remember if its same.

Sorry I couldn't help you more.

Astralv

Distinguished

It was recommended to install Win 10 and then use chat to activate. If it does not work, I would have to revert back to Win 7 and it may be unhealthy. I should of not try to upgrade. I will probably just find the right way to get rid of 99% of files it already installed.

Astralv

Distinguished
Contacted support. They told me that for limited time we can still upgrade disregarding of deadline passing. Insiders information. Not known when the "window" will close. Use media creator to download Win 10 and install with activation by Win 8 or 7 key.

Astralv

Distinguished

I have to check Dell web site for this model. It has all needed Win 7 drivers as it was clean install- upgraded from Vista to 7. (the lap top was released on merge of Vista time and Win 7 and Win 7 was given by Microsoft for upgrade). So I installed all Win 7 drivers. I should of compare them to 8. But think about it: all the people that have no experience with reinstalling the drivers- they just go on and do the upgrade- hardly few of us goes to look for drivers or knows where they are. The tech support person said- Win 10 drivers should work. Which is a stretch as she probably does not know that drivers are.

Colif

Win 11 Master
win 10 drivers would work but if your PC upgraded from vista to 7 there may not be any win 10 drivers. My last pc had vista on it when i got it, its motherboard only got support as far as win 8 but I never even thought about putting 8 on it as it was getting too old. You can try but I feel the problems installing win 10 may only be start of problems.

I know most people don't think about drivers when using PC or upgrading, I was one of them. I never bothered to upgrade drivers on my last PC as by about 5 years in I guessed there really wasn't much point as new graphics card drivers, for instance, weren't being written for my card but were for cards much newer than what i had.

I used the drivers that worked and that is what trips up a lot of people as win 7 has been around since 2008 and some people haven't upgraded any drivers since then as they worked. Win 10 expects you to be more up to date and a lot of errors are caused by people not being at the level win 10 expects. If you don't have to change anything for years and then suddenly it all falls apart, its so easy to blame windows 10 for causing the problems. How dare it expect you to be up to date

Trying to use win 7 drivers on win 10 doesn't work all that well.

Your PC may not see any benefit running win 10. You might be better on win 7 and start saving for a new PC that will do Win 10 justice. The speed difference between my old PC and this one was worth paying for.

TRENDING THREADS