2 unknown files after upgrade to win 10 and media creation

Kevin3469

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
On 7/15/16. Upgraded from win7 pro to win 10 pro. Made win 10 dvd from iso file. Went back on 7/28/16 using same media creation tool made a usb copy of win10. Now have 2 unknown files on computer.
1) $WINDOWS.~BT from 7/15/16
size is 4.43 GB and size on disk is 4.43 GB
2) $WINDOWS.~WS from 7/28/16
size is 455 KB and size on disk is 116 KB. That confused me.
Thanks in advance for the help.
The WS file is more my concern.
I wanted to have a usb copy of win 10. Should I or can I delete the WS file and make a copy to a usb drive from the dvd created on 7/15/16.
If so, can I just format the usb. What do I format it to NTFS or fat32? Then copy from the dvd and paste to the usb or is there a different way.
This WS file concerns me as it contains a Sources file then panther (blue) file.
I didn't expect to get files on my computer by just making a usb copy of win10 using the creation tool.

Advice is always greatly appreciated.
I don't want to mess up my new win 10 before I learn how to use it.
Thank you all

Solution
They were made by the media creation tool when you upgraded

$windows.~WS contains 2 images, one an ESD (installx86.esd or installx64.esd) in sources, and another is an install.wim in $windows.~WS\sources\windows\sources.

If you have used the Media Creation tool, after taking a compressed snapshot of your system in sources\Panther during the mini-setup phase, it next downloads an ESD, then decrypts it to a windows setup filesystem (sources\windows\) identical to the files and folders that are found on the resultant windows.iso.

It also starts to make a minimal $Windows.~BT, containing sources\Panther in case an upgrade is continued immediately.

See here

http://superuser.com/questions/886098/what-is-the-windows-bt-folder...

Colif

Win 11 Master
They were made by the media creation tool when you upgraded

$windows.~WS contains 2 images, one an ESD (installx86.esd or installx64.esd) in sources, and another is an install.wim in $windows.~WS\sources\windows\sources.

If you have used the Media Creation tool, after taking a compressed snapshot of your system in sources\Panther during the mini-setup phase, it next downloads an ESD, then decrypts it to a windows setup filesystem (sources\windows\) identical to the files and folders that are found on the resultant windows.iso.

It also starts to make a minimal $Windows.~BT, containing sources\Panther in case an upgrade is continued immediately.

See here

http://superuser.com/questions/886098/what-is-the-windows-bt-folder

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/delete-windows-bt-ws-folders-windows-10

Solution

Kevin3469

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
Thank you
I was most concerned that I had a good copy of win 10 be it dvd or usb if I ever needed it
So, if I delete these 2 files and windows old I can not roll back to windows 7. I'll keep them for a little while. Thanks so much

Kevin3469

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
Thanks again
1 more question please
I have the win 10 on dvd from 7/15/16
If I want to put a copy of that onto a flash drive can I format the flash drive first (if so NTFS or FAT32)
Then can I just copy and paste from the dvd to the flash drive or is there a more involved procedure.
An earlier post said use fat32 then copy and paste but I want to be sure that is ok. I thought NTFS was the one to format to now.
Thank you

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you use the tool it will format the drive the way it needs to be. You don't need to do anything.

FAT32 is the right choice, as the bios is looking for that format on a USB. BIOS is written to support multiple operating systems, FAT32 is the most common and is used in more than just Windows, unlike NTFS.