Asus: BIOS downgrade tutorial & Official BIOS Non-K OC version?

1valdis

Reputable
Jul 16, 2016
Hi there.
I googled hard and there's no fresh tutorial on how to properly downgrade BIOS using CMOS reset and the other actions to minimize bricking chance. I'd highly appreciate if you explain what I should do, in what order, and what to expect.
I'm going to buy Asus Z170-K (so I'm interested in Asus downgrade particularly) + i5-6400. Does overclocking BIOS exist in official Asus website? As far as I see, 0601 version is dating with 2015/11/26 and is very close to 0602 what is being distributed as OC version on overclocking.guide site. Can I overclock on 0601? Don't like to rely on hacked version if there's official counterpart.

AppleGwava

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
There is not much point in overclocking a locked processor unless you know what you are doing,eg skyoc and others.However the bios for them are a bit dated and are missing some micro code updates.Btw,the z in z170 means the motherboard is already built specifically for overclocking,however,your cpu does not allow u to do that,consider getting a 6600k or 6700 ki nstead

tl;dr

No need for special bios for overclocking K PROCESSORS
Special bios needed for overclocking NON k processors
Dont mess with bios if you dont know what you are doing.

Cheers:)

1valdis

Reputable
Jul 16, 2016

I know that. I have no money for K processor, so I'm going to buy a cheapest i5 and overclock it, because why not. Therefore I asking for BIOS, because I think when I buy mobo, it will have a newer-than-overclocking BIOS.

1valdis

Reputable
Jul 16, 2016

Yes. Haven't found anything about proper bios downgrading.

scuzzycard

Honorable
I don't think 0602 is a hacked BIOS - it's a version that was released before Intel required motherboard manufacturers to remove that feature. Downgrading is the same process as upgrading. You might gain the ability to overclock by adjusting the BCLK, but you will have to deal with bugs that have been fixed in newer BIOSes, like the one your board will probably ship with. There are issues with CPU power management not working and iGPU not working. Those issues might not matter to you. 0601 is even older than 0602, and there is no advantage to using it.

All the information you need is there. Download BIOS 0602, copy it to a USB flash drive, go into the BIOS, go into tools, ASUS EZ Flash 3, locate the file, and make sure the power doesn't get shut off while it writes the new old BIOS. It is no more risky than upgrading the BIOS in terms of "bricking" your board.

AppleGwava

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016

I dont think this against forum rules but

Search for non k overclocking,and download the version from asus' website,just be careful,i wouldnt mess around too much

1valdis

Reputable
Jul 16, 2016

Thank you! I'm much calmer now.
I mentioned CMOS reset because I've asked some questions in Overclocking section of site and was told to use it when downgrading. Now I see two different opinions. So I may at first try not to use CMOS reset, then if something go wrong, do that as an attempt to fix the situation.
Search for non k overclocking,and download the version from asus' website,just be careful,i wouldnt mess around too much
Non-K overclocking version is 0602. Asus website let me see only 0601, but not 0602.

Thank you very much for replies!

Another alternative might be to use one of Asrocks Hyper series motherboards. They are specifically designed for overclocking locked processors using an onboard clock generator rather than Bios microcode.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/jrDzK8,6W4NnQ/

http://www.eteknix.com/asrock-finds-way-bypass-intels-non-k-bclk-oc-limits/

1valdis

Reputable
Jul 16, 2016

Have no this mobos in my country anywhere. Purchasing from abroad is not a good option due to only 100 bucks duty-free limit of Ukrainian customs. If it was not, I'm sure I go to CU and get a decent build with K-processor for the same money, but I'm here:D

AppleGwava

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016

As with all overclocking,it is a labourious process.You have to run stress tests after.start in small in crememts and dont change the voltage yet.Only increse voltage slowly if you hit a wall.Stop when you hit a thermal barrier or have to increase voltage a lot .

1valdis

Reputable
Jul 16, 2016

I know that. I only asked for BIOS downgrade procedure and not for overclock tutorial. But thanks for reply ;)

1valdis

Reputable
Jul 16, 2016

Useful info, thanks!