Configuring Calix Gateway QOS?

Gifters

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
I have a small home network and I'm having trouble with QOS. I have a Calix Gateway provided by my ISP and I'm not sure I have the settings right. The Gateway works as the main router and then I have a 16 port gigabyte switch and then I have two DD-WRT routers connected that are set as access points and DHCP forwarders. In one of these I have plugged in my Xbox.

When streaming on other devices I notice that the connection of my xbox still significantly suffers. I know QOS slows things down somewhat but it should help when traffic is heavy right?

BTW its a Calix 844 family gateway. Problem might be that the Gateways firmware is build to prioritize video traffic?

Here is a table of the QOS, Calix doesn't seem to provide much help on this

Name - Direction - DSCP - Priority - Source - Destination
Xbox360 - Upstream - EF - High - 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0 - All

Xbox 360 - Downstream - EF - High - All - 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0

XboxOne - Upstream - EF - High - 192.168.1.12 255.255.255.0 - All

Xbox One - Downstream - EF - High - All - 192.168.1.12 255.255.255.0

I know it would probably help if the xbox was plugged directly into the switch but I'm not confident in changing settings on the Calix since their is no support online.

Pretty much you are wasting your time. Packet marking is removed as soon as the ISP get the packet so it does nothing. What does "high" actually mean, does it drop only 1/2 as much as low ?

On top of all this for download traffic if the ISP drops your game traffic and sends the video stream instead what can you router possibly do magically undelete data?

You need a router that you can set traffic to fixed values and limit traffic other than your xbox. It is a rather complex configuration. Your dd-wrt routers have the ability but it still is very messy to get to work even partially.