144Hz Freesync TN Monitor vs 60Hz IPS without Freesync? Both 1080p

philanthropic1989

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Hi everyone :),

I am planning to buy a complete gaming computer and have finalized every part (see list below) except the monitor. I don't want to spend too much on the monitor because my overall budget is limited. I will get the RX 480 8GB version and I won't upgrade for another 2-3 years. Hence I expect that in the future my fps in games will definitely be in the 40-60 range and some games may possibly drop to 30 after 3 years. I only want a 1080p monitor, not higher.

I'm torn between two possibilities: the better image reproduction of a budget IPS panel and the Freesync capability of a TN panel in my budget. I live in Germany and the model range available here is not the same as the one in the USA for example. So I can only look through the possibilities available to me. I have selected the following:

IPS: Acer R231 23" or the Acer R241Ybmid 23.8" - both are 1080p, 60Hz, 4 ms GTG, No Freesync

TN: AOC G2460PF - 1080p, 144Hz, 1ms GTG, Freesync

The components I have finalized:
Core i5 6600K
MSI Z170-A motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x2 GB DDR4
RX 480 8GB

Thanks for the help :)

It's a tough decision, no doubt about it. Unless you play CS:GO or other competitive multiplayer FPS games in which case get the 144Hz no matter what.

If i was in your situation I would probably get the 144Hz display. I've used both TN and IPS and although IPS is nice, it isn't a deal-breaker. I haven't ever used freesync but in my personal experience I really don't notice screen tearing almost ever.

I would weigh your own personal experiences of screen tearing and panel type and determine which you prefer.

To me, the fairly poor picture quality doesn't justify the Freesync option (which is great if the ratio is 2.5X or better which this is. Some are 40Hz to 60Hz or similar which does not support asynchronous mode below 40FPS)

Review (skip to the last section): https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-g2460pf/

Looking at the $200 to $250 price range for IPS shows these monitors for example:

1) 2560x1440, 25", IPS, 60Hz
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/D7hj4D/acer-monitor-umkg7aa002

2) 1920x1080, 25", IPS, 60Hz
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/LPs8TW/asus-monitor-mx259h

The first one is great because of the high resolution. Especially for desktop usage but also games with small text/HUD elements like CIV5, Starcraft 2 etc (it's a huge difference).

The drawback with that monitor is the Warranty isn't great. DELL has one with similar specs which I bought for my sister however it's $100 more. The warranty for the DELL is far better though (3-year vs 1-year, zero dead pixel vs some, no-cost for ship/repair for DELL replacement on this model).

The second one is about $50 cheaper ($200) and may have a better Warranty than the Acer but I didn't look it up.

philanthropic1989

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009

Thank you for your reply. I do not play competitive FPS games like CS:GO. I play casual Dota 2 and also like to play games that look beautiful such as Skyrim.

I think the main problem I will run into a year later or so, won't be screen tearing but rather stuttering. Am I correct? Because my fps will be lower than the 60Hz refresh rate of the IPS monitor. And I've heard the FreeSync helps in this department.

Could you please guide me about this issue?

Wildthorn

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2016
RX-480? Go with the freesync. Doesn't matter too much what you get especially since the RX-480 will be a blast at 1080p? Seriously they won't be any frame drops. Unless you spawned 50 nukes in gmod (believe me, never try it). If you like looking at rainbows and stuff, go with the IPS. I don't think Dota would have a problem, nor skyrim. It depends whether your competitive or your an "I wanna shine" Enthusiast.

philanthropic1989

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Thank you everyone for your replies. I finally went ahead and bought the "Samsung S24E370DL". It is a 1080p PLS (IPS) monitor with up to 75 Hz refresh rate, 4 ms response time and has Freesync. I found it to be the perfect monitor for the price (some stores in Germany have it for around 140 euros).

I am very happy with the picture quality and I see no ghosting during games.