pc wont boot with second display attached

sparkydude77

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
hi, i've started having a weird issue where my pc will fail to boot if my secondary display is plugged in. it will start to boot but after the win flag and spin wheel it will go black and a for reboot lands me on the "windows could not start" screen. if i remove my second display it'll boot fine.

Solution

Hello again

I think it is any recently installed Windows Update that is culprit. You may want to go to Control Panel and uninstall any update that Windows downloaded and installed the day since the issue started.

If that doesn't work, you can Restore...
Hello sparkydude77

It looks like your computer is configured to send the output to the second display only.

What you can do is, disconnect the second monitor, boot the PC, press Windows + P keys together, and click to select the PC screen only option from the displayed menu.

After this, you can connect the second monitor, press the Windows + P keys again and choose the Extend option this time from the displayed menu.

Cheers!!

sparkydude77

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
thanks for the reply but didnt work. i even uninstalled display drivers with ddu and reinstall latest. thing is i've been using this setup for a year just only this last day started doing that . if i have my second screen on i can see the pc post and go to the windows flag with the spinning thing but after that it goes to no signal. and i have to disconnect the second display and force reboot and it boots fine. i dont think i changed anything this last few days.

Hello again

I think it is any recently installed Windows Update that is culprit. You may want to go to Control Panel and uninstall any update that Windows downloaded and installed the day since the issue started.

If that doesn't work, you can Restore Windows 10 to Day Before Yesterday, i.e. when the computer worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!! :)

Solution