Windows Store error code 0x80073cf9

onoturtle

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
When I try to download Gears of War Ultimate Edition from the Windows Store I get error code 0x80073cf9 after some random amount of time. Sometimes I'm able to download 1-4GB before failing. It is making process in that I can see the total amount to download is decreasing with each retry. Initially it was about ~52GB, but now it is in the high 40s when I retry the download. With quite a lot of retries it will complete.

I'm running Windows 10 with the latest updates. I also just went through the built-in reset process to reinstall Win 10 fresh and I still encounter the issue. Also had to start the download process from the very beginning since previous progress was wiped after reset. The only thing that may be helping is calling WSReset, which seems to make the download last longer but doesn't solve the issue.

EDIT: Correction to error code 0x80073cf9. I wrote 0x80073cf6 previously.

Solution
Resolved. Since it was determined I now have issues downloading app that previously worked as well, I narrowed it down to my network. I had recently moved my desktop, necessitating using WiFi. Unlike services like Steam/Origin/GOG, WS is apparently sensitive to this. So I have temporarily moved my desktop to the router for a wired connection and completed both Gears of War and Killer Instinct downloads without a retry. I guess this is a workaround I'll have to do until WS fixes this or I invest in a really long ethernet cable.

MrNamegame

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
I just got this code from Vista when I detached a drive while it was running recently...this is a storage problem of some sort. Could be the SATA controller, cable, drive, software, etc.

Check the disk's health as soon as you can.

onoturtle

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
The SMART status of all my drives are fine. Prior to resetting Win 10 (I haven't tried downloading anything but Gears post reset), I never encounter the error on other Windows Store downloads, including other large games (Killer Instinct, Forza Apex).

MrNamegame

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013

So it's only with this game then? Hmm...

Well, I really don't know what else to say except SFC /scannow and chill as well as defragmenting any non-SSD drives.

On second thought, actually, it may be possible that the Windows Store upload is corrupted beyond belief.

onoturtle

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
I just tried redownloading Killer Instinct and got the same error, so it isn't only Gears. Something has changed that resetting Win10 doesn't fix. I ran sfc /scannow and it did repair some files. I'm surprised there are corrupt files when I only just reset half a day ago. It hasn't changed the downloading behavior of the Win 10 store though. I'm still seeing errors after downloading a few GBs with ~32 GB left for Gears.

onoturtle

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
Resolved. Since it was determined I now have issues downloading app that previously worked as well, I narrowed it down to my network. I had recently moved my desktop, necessitating using WiFi. Unlike services like Steam/Origin/GOG, WS is apparently sensitive to this. So I have temporarily moved my desktop to the router for a wired connection and completed both Gears of War and Killer Instinct downloads without a retry. I guess this is a workaround I'll have to do until WS fixes this or I invest in a really long ethernet cable.

Solution