Sudden blue screens in windows 10 (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION)

Unclesam1313

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Yesterday, my computer started crashing randomly while in-game (so far it's only happened in csgo, but I haven't tested any others yet). I received three blue screens, the first two being SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and the third IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. After the second crash, I reinstalled my Nvidia drivers (GTX 1070, installed about a week ago- really hope that isn't the problem).

The last time I had an issue similar to this, I spent a whole week googling and trying everything before I reset my windows, so I figured I'd go directly for help this time. I'm sorry if it seems like I haven't tried much myself, but most information I can come across seems to be people requesting specific crash dumps. I've uploaded all three of mine here. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hello... THX great IMG's B ) if you click the TAB "Details" sometimes give a "smaller" detailed information look... look/post, them too B /

OK you are getting what other people are getting...
1) A CALL from the APP Microsoft.Windows.FeatureOnDemand.InsiderHub_10.0... Don't use it? un-install it.
2) A CALL from the APP Cortana... Don't use it? un-install it.

Fix these two APP CALL errors and we can see what happens next in your system. ok? B /
That's usually a driver problem. Reloading the driver was a great first step. If it keeps failing try loading an older driver that still supports the 1070 (nice card!). Also consider reloading any MB drivers you can get from the MB makers site if you built the PC, or consider reloading the most recent drivers from PC makers site if you bought the PC prebuilt.

One thing to look for, win10 forces update of drivers == it may be stepping on whatever driver you are loading for the 1070. Make sure that the driver you are running is the driver you think you are running.

Unclesam1313

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

The first thing I tried was reloading my gpu driver again with a clean installation (I missed that checkbox the first time in the Nvidia installer). That was stable for about a day, no matter what I threw at it, but tonight things began to act up again. I started getting BSoDs out of nowhere (no game open, just sitting on the desktop/browsing reddit). I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers in order to try reverting to an older version, but when I restarted to complete the removal of the current version, I go another blue screen on startup. I assume this means that graphics drivers are most likely not the issue, as I had none installed at the time.

Over my attempts to download/install new drivers I received a couple of new errors (KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, if I remember correctly). I can link the dumps for those if they are needed.

After a few consistent crashes within 3-5 minutes of restarting, I booted into safe mode with networking. I've downloaded the audio, LAN, and SATA drivers from the ASUS page for my motherboard. I have an AMD chipset, so I downloaded the appropriate driver from their site. I can't install any of these in safe mode, so I'll have to try to fit them into a normal boot before a crash.

As far as I can tell, win 10 isn't stepping on anything. The Nvidia control panel showed the correct version after loading the older driver.

It seems to me like I'm fast approaching a necessity for a system reset, but I'd like to do whatever is possible right now to prevent that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
download and run whocrashed: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
it will show a summary of the errors and may show us driver responsible (unless its clearly the Nvidia card)

Copy/paste summary in here if its not obvious what cause is

Also, follow option one here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-bsod-minidump-configure-create-windows-10-a.html
and do this step below: Small memory dumps: Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

That will create a file in c/windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy you made (not original) onto a cloud server and share a link here

Unclesam1313

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 7/31/2016 6:59:04 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\073116-8156-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x142940)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE0004B864028, 0xB8800000, 0x20F0F)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 7/31/2016 5:29:29 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Read\073116-7968-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x101 (0x18, 0x0, 0xFFFFD000F252A180, 0x4)
Error: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
Bug check description: This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 7/31/2016 5:29:29 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Read\073116-7968-01 - Copy.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x101 (0x18, 0x0, 0xFFFFD000F252A180, 0x4)
Error: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
Bug check description: This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).

On Sun 7/31/2016 4:21:58 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\073016-8015-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF802F82A2A32, 0xFFFFD000227BB480, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Sun 7/31/2016 3:52:38 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\073016-7812-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x11CE)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF803D84ED924, 0xFFFFD001CD4D1798, 0xFFFFD001CD4D0FB0)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 7/31/2016 3:05:19 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\073016-9625-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF803AA2A5A32, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

On Sun 7/31/2016 3:01:36 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\073016-7218-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF8027E297A32, 0xFFFFD00100F1A920, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

On Sun 7/31/2016 2:53:19 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\073016-8281-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x61924)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8030747B924, 0xFFFFD000ED9C66C8, 0xFFFFD000ED9C5EE0)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

On Sat 7/30/2016 4:15:52 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\073016-9093-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown ()
Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: CUSTOM_ERROR

On Sat 7/30/2016 3:10:43 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\073016-9750-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown ()
Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: CUSTOM_ERROR

Colif

Win 11 Master
WHEA and Watchdog timeout are hardware errors normally associated with CPU. The remaining errors are likely to be drivers.

I wish I could read dump files as they would show more (I also just noticed you linked them in first post) cause the remaining errors just mention windows and don't actually show what is to blame.

Check your motherboard makers web site and make sure you have latest drivers

Unclesam1313

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

Here is a link to all of the crash dumps I have so far: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtpWzZ_yB6CorBvp1Kf8qvSafCHN

About a month ago, I had a similar problem that I eventually tracked to a driver from some VM software I forgot I had installed. As part of the process of trying to fix it, I ran Memtest86+ for a combined total of about 50 hours with all possible configurations of my two DIMM's (Together, one at time, switching slots in the motherboard, etc.) and found 1 error on the first pass with both sticks in their normla configuration. I ran at least 10 more passes with them as they were, plus numerous separately, and nothing came up. I was told that reseating the RAM probably fixed the issue. You mentioned hardware errors, and Memtest implicitly tests the CPU, so could that be part of the issue?

I already reinstalled the latest versions of all drivers from the ASUS site as well as the chipset drivers from AMD.

Something else to note: It seems that, for the most part, the BSoD happens at or close to startup. Sometimes it happens before I can log in, others it happens in the first few minutes after startup. However, after the first 5 or 10 minutes it seems to run stable for hours unless I try to launch a game (Kerbal Space Program and CSGO are the only things I've tried, neither has made it more than a few minutes). The only exception to this that I can remember is from a couple of days ago when it crashed about 10 minutes after I loaded my DS emulator. The next two times I booted, it crashed quickly after I relaunched the emulator. Yesterday, however, I played for a couple of hours and then went AFK for 6 with it running and everyhting was stable.

Hello... APPs Calls can cause them... and OS Calls can cause them... and hardware can cause them... We need to fix/look at them in that order first.

1) Do you have any RED or Yellow marks in your Control panel-Device manager?
2) kernel 41 errors mean the OS was not properly shut down... either by You OR the hardware.

Here is the Windows event debug screen.

You NEED to be logged on as administrator to the OS...

let's see what the OS is reporting as the error... Right click computer-manage-System Tools-Event Viewer-Windows logs-system.... Click on the "RED" errors, for more information... and files/drivers/Apps, comments/suggestions/information, General/Details associated with them B )

Expanding Window panes and Posting screen images from here will help me, help you faster... But copy and posting text will work too B )

Unclesam1313

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

Device Manager is clean.

Does the automatic restart after a blue screen count as 'not properly shut down'? That's how I've restarted every time.

I booted into safe mode to look at the event viewer. This seems to produce a huge chunk of identical errors with the message: DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:
{B52D54BB-4818-4EB9-AA80-F9EACD371DF8}
I'm pretty sure that's irrelevant, but I chose to include it just in case.

Aside from this, I've attached screenshots of a sampling of the error messages I've received. Today, every crash has been system_service_exception. I only received whea and watchdog timeout once each, and I can't remember when they were, but I've tried to go back as far as I could and include any error that isn't already identical to others. I've also excluded the ones that simply stated that the system shut down unexpectedly.

Here is the album: http://imgur.com/a/rDlmA

Edit: I just noticed that a couple of the dialog boxes were not big enough to show all of the text, so I've pasted it here:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
and APPID
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
and APPID
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
to the user Firestorm\Sam SID (S-1-5-21-3309047914-1513741178-1649186211-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.FeatureOnDemand.InsiderHub_10.0.10586.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-4016783169-893401051-2237370320-274899566-412088533-2398988950-2155762795). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Hello... THX great IMG's B ) if you click the TAB "Details" sometimes give a "smaller" detailed information look... look/post, them too B /

OK you are getting what other people are getting...
1) A CALL from the APP Microsoft.Windows.FeatureOnDemand.InsiderHub_10.0... Don't use it? un-install it.
2) A CALL from the APP Cortana... Don't use it? un-install it.

Fix these two APP CALL errors and we can see what happens next in your system. ok? B /

Solution
install the lan, audio, and sata drivers from here:
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/HelpDesk_Download/

change the memory dump type from minidump to kernel memory dump
https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-US/111474

boot into bios, change any setting and change it back to force the BIOS to rescan and save the settings and reboot.
see if you still get a bugcheck. if so put the file c:\winodws\memory.dmp on a server and post a link. It will have more details about the problem.

also, run memtest on its own boot image. (because of the error code 0xc0000005 often happens with memory timing errors in bios)

Unclesam1313

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

It appears that uninstalling the Insider Hub did the trick. I'd never even herd of that before today. Thanks all for your help!