uefi installation problems

BadNight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I was messing around with an old computer that has a bios set to uefi. I tried installing 10 on a ssd that was formatted to mbr. I know it wouldn't work like that, so I used delete on the disk, then used new so windows can make the proper gpt partitions. Windows installs, but when it tries to reboot to the windows install, it just doesn't work. It just keeps rebooting until I tell the bios to load through the usb installer. Attempting to repair/reset using the installer does nothing and just gives an error. What could be wrong?

I ended up using legacy/mbr to install win 10, so the installation usb isn't corrupt or anything. Is it impossible to make a proper gpt disk through windows install?

Yes you can format a disk in mbr during windows install. The windows installer disk has two executables. One for legacy and another of efi. Some motherboards have a settings which decide which it will use. Other times you need to manually select the efi boot by going into the boot override menu. To create a disk and format it in gpt you must start the installer in efi mode. Also the disk needs to be unformatted. If the disk is MBR the installer will not allow you to install windows to it.

manv

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015
Windows will not let you install on efi mode on an MBR partition. But above all that there might be another problem lurking around. The BIOS in old PC's that have UEFI bios is not actually UEFI. It is something like a makeup. The UEFI stuff will only be there on the surface but in reality it will just be a legacy BIOS running under it. I strongly recommend against installing windows in EFI mode in such PC's. Go for the legacy mode.