Zotac 1070 FE - Temperature question

Darkalons

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I recently got a Zotact 1070 Founders edition. I know the cooler isn't the best for FE models, and that other third-party cards have better, but in my country the FE was actually chepear than the rest.

I've been keeping track of the temps that I get when gaming, and I noticed that on most demanding games (eg, playing on everything ultra @1080p), I usually get 78-82c. With the most demanding so far, Witcher 3, I peaked at 85c, but normally it hovers between 80-83c. These temps are without any fan curve, so it usually stays at 60% fan speed (at least that's what I saw with Witcher 3). I know that with a fan speed increase, I can drop a few degrees, but my questions are:

If I don't touch the fan speeds, will the mentioned above temps harm my GPU in the short term? Or is it intended due the model to keep those temps under heavy load? I've heard about thermal throttlling (which I don't know much about), could those temps start throttling the GPU? And would that impact my gaming experience by a lot? Or it is barely noticeable? I won't be OC'ing my GPU if that's of any help.

Again, I know I can get better temps by setting a fan curve, but I would prefer keep it as it is since I don't like to play with settings that much.

Thanks for any input on the matter!

I think 80c+ is pretty normal for the FE cards and should not have a noticeable impact in their lifetime (You're likely gonna buy a new gpu before it dies). If you want to lower the temps then id suggest getting some case fans to improve airflow.