Intel 6700k core volt and temp isses 2.00v is fine ?

melgeotom

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
Hi,
Im using
Asus z170 Pro gaming mobo
CPU : i7 6700k (Stock O.C don't wish to O.C)
Cooler : H55

My temp. (showing in real temp.) is 27-33 at idle
But when i try to play game the temp. go up to like 60-70c
Is this normal ? or should i upgrade my H55 to H100i ?
My aim on this pc is to design,gaming etc.

Since i don't want to overclock should i change these
Ai OverClock Tuner Auto to "Manual Mode" and set base clk : 100
Cpu Core Ratio : Sync all core and use 40 as multiplier
Cpu core volt to manual mode : 2.000
Is this fine ? or should i keep the mobo default ?
Please help!

marko55

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
That's a little toasty for stock but 60-70 is fine. Won't hurt it at all. If you wanna upgrade your cooler you will probably get that down but maybe 5 degrees. If you're gonna overclock you'll probably want to upgrade. The H105 is great. I clocked a 3930k, which runs toasty, to 4.2 and under prime 95 a couple cores only hit about 72. I have an H100i on my 3770k, which is a pretty warm CPU and clocked to 4.4 at 2.9x volts and synthetically it hits mid to high 70s. Admittedly I'm pushing that half hoping it fries so i have an excuse to upgrade!

Final note, what are you using for thermal paste? Hopefully not the stock junk....

melgeotom

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

Im using a cooler master v1 thermal paste
and when i check cpuz the stock cpu volt veries between 2.631 - 2.3v something
and when i changed this things to manual mode like cpu volt to 2.00v,multiplier 40x and when i start gaming the temp. stays between 50-60 range sometimes 48-55.
Is this fine ? or should keep it the default mobo comes.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I5-3570K with h55 @4.2GHz 1.116v runs 70° under p95 26.6 small fft.
I7-3770k with nzxt Kraken x61 @4.6GHz 1.208v runs 63°
Gelid Extreme 3 paste.

Your voltages are not correct. Intel cpu's will not tolerate 2.0v in anyway, Intel strongly suggests cpus upto Lga1150 not go beyond 1.45v. If you've manually set vcore for 2.0v you stand a very good chance of frying that cpu in no time. It'll explain exactly why you are seeing higher temps under load. But then again, the cpu won't use more than it thinks it needs to so it won't use the full 2.0v,bjt more probably something in the neighborhood of 1.35-1.4v.

melgeotom

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

On every forum it says for intel skylake processor its base core voltage is 2.00v if not needing to overclock which is why i used it but i dont know what to do at the current situation tho.
Im on stock speed,stock clk everything on stock
still cpu full load temp. giving me 60-70c :(
Any help pls

melgeotom

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
So i was using a Cooler Master v1 thermal paste is this causing the issue or should i just buy new thermal paste or just go buy new cooler (h100i v2) ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

melgeotom

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

Oh okay.So can you explain why my temp going way high like 60-70 ?when im playing ,is it cuz of my thermal paste or something ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not paste, although that's a possibility if improperly applied or the cooler isn't secure, AIOs work better at high pressure mounts. Most of cpu heat is in direct relation to the vcore voltage. A cpu running 1.3v is going to run considerably hotter than the exact same cpu under exact same conditions running 1.2v. Intel specifically sets voltages high for stock vcore simply to cover every cpu manufactured. So it wouldn't surprise me at all to see skylake stock vcore at 1.45v initial setting. This'll maintain a stable system even if the cpu is demanding 1.4v to run right.

That said, OC is more than just jacking the speed. OC is taking a stock cpu and changing how fast the cpu runs in relation to the stock voltage. So if you take a 3.4GHz cpu at 1.25v and change that to 3.4GHz at 1.208v you've technically overclocked since the cpu is running at a faster speed than the voltage was set for. This has the benefit of reducing temps. So when a cpu is bumped up in speed the temps rise accordingly, so lowering vcore will drop temps accordingly. Unfortunately the ratio isn't even, so while lowering vcore may drop temps 10°C, the additional speed has increased the wattage high enough that temps have risen 30°C, necessitating a larger ability cooler to absorb the wattage and lower temps. Therefore OC is all about max speeds for lowest vcore, just so the cooler can handle the difference.

Your temps are due to vcore. Drop the vcore until it's no longer stable (done in very small increments over many reboots and much stability testing) then bump it up a notch or 2. This'll set the base temp for your chosen speed. What comes after that is dependent on your hardware usage, software run, airflow, cooling ability etc but will no longer be dependent on the cpu or voltages as they are at minimum stable condition. Just because you have no wish to increase the stock speed doesn't mean you can't lower vcore. I'd start by returning the bios to factory default (usually F5) not doing it manually. Run your temp test, then start lowering vcore by 0.008v increments.

For temp tests use p95 v26.6 small fft, no newer version. For stability testing use Asus ROG RealBench. For Intel cpu's use Realtemp. It was written specifically for Intel cpu's for use with p95. With an AIO like the H55, temp testing will take a minimum of 1/2hr. It's needed to allow the liquid time to balance.