Can't open by double clicking, can't shut down or restart. etc. Please help

Pokepunk710

Commendable
May 29, 2016
My computer can't shut down or restart. I click on shut down in bottom left and nothing happens. Its like I didnt press anything. Same with restart.

Also, I can't open apps without opening as admin. For example, to play a game on steam. I need to run steam as a admin, then go to game library and run it from there. I cant just find the icon on my desktop and double click it.

Also for things like tast manager, I cant use ctrl, shift, esc to open it, I need to right click on bottom left window and go to task manager to open it.

Please help, I am really annoyed with this and I dont know what to do. Normally i'd think just restarting my computer would fix problems like this, but I cant restart or shut down my computer either! Ugh! Help!

Solution
Okay. I fixed it. Thank god!

There are 2 buttons on my computer, one shuts it down, which I pressed first. It put it on sleep... and did nothing.

The second button, however, made it shut down and reboot. And when it rebooted, it fixed itself. :)

I knew I was right when I said I bet it would fix if I could shut it down! Haha :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think your best idea is a reset - you will need to reinstall all your programs again.

If you have more than one hdd in PC, copy anything you want to save onto 2nd drive. Alternate is put hdd in another PC and copy files off it. You can reuse steam library folders, copy entire folder to another drive and when you reinstall Steam again, point its library location at old folder and it will find all your games again.

You can also try this to copy files off PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer (May need to use another PC to do this), its handy in case reset doesn't work, and its useful as a boot drive.

Since your windows so messed up, its easiest to reset using installer
change boot order in bios so USB or DVD first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after language choices, choose repair this PC, not install
choose reset this pc
choose keep files/settings (this saves anything in library folders like documents, music, downloads, etc)
other choice is wipe everything, you can do this if you wish..
Either choice, PC will restart and install win 10 again.

whistle if you need more help :)

Pokepunk710

Commendable
May 29, 2016

Im not gonna take everything off my computer...

Is there a way to find out what caused this or something? I mean I didnt do anything, just turned my computer on and all this stuff happened.

There needs to be another way. I have only had this computer for about 7 months.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try this,
go to settings/update & security/recovery/restart PC
this should load you into advanced start up
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore
choose the latest date it gives you and it will restore PC back to that date and hopefully fix this - it won't remove anything off your pc

NO guarantee it will work though

Have you tried an anti virus scan?

Pokepunk710

Commendable
May 29, 2016

Sorry for kinda late response, i will try this later. Just wanted to say yes I did scan, on malwarebytes. Also did a CClean

Pokepunk710

Commendable
May 29, 2016

What about Avast? Its what I have.

Pokepunk710

Commendable
May 29, 2016

Ok, I REALLY need help now. Turn out I can run ANYTHING without running it as admin. So if it doesnt give me the option to, I can't. I can't open settings, I can't left click the windows button to get there. Neither can I go to things like control panel.

Also for my anti-virus, it needed to update. When it finished updating it needed to restart. So I pressed restart now and nothing happened.

Please help! Anyone! :(

EDIT: I am going to press the power button on my PC and see if that helps it. I hear it is safe to press power button on computers since 2014.

Pokepunk710

Commendable
May 29, 2016
Okay. I fixed it. Thank god!

There are 2 buttons on my computer, one shuts it down, which I pressed first. It put it on sleep... and did nothing.

The second button, however, made it shut down and reboot. And when it rebooted, it fixed itself. :)

I knew I was right when I said I bet it would fix if I could shut it down! Haha :)

Solution