Sign in with
Your question

CPU under 0°C

Last response: in CPUs
August 30, 2009 10:45:41 AM

hi guys,

i bought a new cpu cooler.. the "synthe mugen 2"
and its cooling my cpu q6700 down to 24-30 degrees. ( my roomtemp. is about 20 degrees)
now my question...
if its winter and there's a temp of -10°C and i would open my windows to get my room cold.. - 10°c
now i got a difference from 4 to 10 degrees... so is it possible to cool a cpu with air cooling under 0°C?
and would it harm the cpu?

thanks in advance

kn0lle

More about : cpu

August 30, 2009 10:54:53 AM

> so is it possible to cool a cpu with air cooling under 0°C?

Yes.

> and would it harm the cpu?

No. But -10C might harm you! And you certainly wouldn't want condensation inside the computer, which could conceivably (unlikely, I know) happen if someone were to open the door to the room and let a rush of warm air in.

Andrew
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2009 11:02:34 AM

I don't want to read on the news about a kid who froze to death while playing Steam games because he left the window open all night to cool down his OC'd PC.

The answer is it is not worth the additional issues created because of the condensation.

Be happy with what you have.

Stay warm.
Related resources
August 30, 2009 11:03:54 AM

I dont know what about C2D, I used to have pentium D 920(2.8ghz) and during winter, I also wanted to cool it below 0c so I underclocked it to 1.4GHz, set vcore 0,83V and set cpu fan to max. You know what? When it hit 0c it was completely ok. However when the time has come to drop to -1, system hang! You might want to do this, simply to see temperature 0, or -something, but you get nothing from this.
August 30, 2009 11:12:29 AM

ah ok .. thank u guys^^ @andy.. yes.. its absolutly logical ^^ would be good for my system ^^

@reynod. u wont read in the news a story like this :D  at least i wont be involved in it ^^ .. it was just kind of a crazy idea which came to my mind :D  and of course i'm happy with my temps :D 

@szymek.. ok. i definitely wont try it out like u..

thanks to all ;) 
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2009 12:15:59 PM

Hey no worries.

Instead why don't you let us give you a hand to give your q6700 a mild overclock?

That way you got something out of your thread.

Seems a waste otherwise ...

:) 
August 30, 2009 1:34:24 PM

Hahahahaha nice coments ! :D  Well put the PC outside and heat up ur room :D  Ull still get -xx temps :p  and nice beach inside :D 
August 30, 2009 3:41:55 PM

okay.. i havent done it yet.. but of course i wanna do it.. in regard to the dirx11 Graphiccards...
so reynod.. maybe u can tell me how to do it :p 

i would be appreciative
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2009 11:26:46 PM

I wouldn't try it too much, honestly. The cold temps can cause problems with the hard drive.
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2009 1:48:19 AM

wouldn't the heatsink paste freeze?
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2009 12:12:50 PM

Lets help him out with a mild overclock and forget the frozen room approach.

Cats won't like sitting in his room ... so we should keep in nice and warm ... hence the overclock.

Ok ... first the Q6700 is an older 65nm quad core part ... but it is generally a good overclocker.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA...

So it runs at 10 X 1066 (266 actual) FSB = 2.66 Ghz.

Boot into the bios and up the FSB from 266 to 333 (1333) and try a reboot.

10 X 333 = 3.33Ghz ... a nice overclock if you can get it at stock but you might have to raise the CPU core voltage slightly otherwise.

Alternatively, try raising the FSB to just 300Mhz ... that gives you a 3Ghz result, and should easily be possible with standard core voltage.

Let us know how you go.

Post your motherboard details if you get stuck and we can advise a bit more.

Good luck.
August 31, 2009 12:36:37 PM

okay.. i've got a p5q asus MB.. how can i raise the cpu core voltage? i havent done it yet.. and what would happen if wouldnt do it?

and if i have the cpu on 3 ghz will i get better fps results in f.e. games like crysis?
i have a HD 4850 with 512 mb.

a b à CPUs
August 31, 2009 12:50:02 PM

http://www.asus.com.au/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=...

Fist you need to reboot into the bios and raise the FSB from 266 to 300 ... go for a mild overclock to 3Ghz first ... and you can probably achieve this without increasing the cpu core voltage at all.

Just getting the manual now to try to give you a bit better idea.
August 31, 2009 1:57:13 PM

whats with the link? is there any information about my cpu? about the voltage?
i dont have a good power supply .. could it harm to do this? to overclock and set the voltage higher? with a bad powersupply?
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2009 2:28:10 PM

The link is to your mobo - I suggest you download the manual if you havn't got it handy and have a read under the bios section.

I gave you the info about the cpu -

Ok ... first the Q6700 is an older 65nm quad core part ... but it is generally a good overclocker.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/d [...] Spec=SLACQ

So it runs at 10 X 1066 (266 actual) FSB = 2.66 Ghz.

Boot into the bios and up the FSB from 266 to 333 (1333) and try a reboot.

10 X 333 = 3.33Ghz ... a nice overclock if you can get it at stock but you might have to raise the CPU core voltage slightly otherwise.

Alternatively, try raising the FSB to just 300Mhz ... that gives you a 3Ghz result, and should easily be possible with standard core voltage.

The current psu should be fine for a mild overclock ... you won't be playign with the power supply ... you will be upping the FSB (Front side bus) settings in your bios when you bootup.

You ready to go yet?
August 31, 2009 2:36:00 PM

.. am am not ready.. i have already overclocked.. and its working quiet well..
its now on fsb 300 so 3ghz x 4
and the temperatures are between 38 to 45 .. in idle..
can i overclock more? were is the end?
i got the handy manual. i build the pc on my own :p  ^^
is in the manual a suggestion with a compatible voltage for the fsb 333? and so on?

thanks :p  now i'm going to play crysis.. watching my temps^^ and looking at the fps
August 31, 2009 3:01:42 PM

wowowow.. while playin the temps of the cpu are over 50 .. 46-55.. maybe thats a bit to high?
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2009 3:07:39 PM

Nope ... that's fine.

You can get the temps down a little bit by making sure all of the cables inside are neat and tidy so the air can flow fine.

I suggest you leave it at 3Ghz for a while and keep an eye on the temps for a bit.

Make sure the HSF (heatsink / fan) assembly and case fans are all free of dust too ...

Good luck.

August 31, 2009 3:16:50 PM

okay.. and just another question now is the VID on 1,3000v .. i think its voltage.. so how high does it have to be putted?
!