New Graphics Card

Brian_137

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
I bought a new graphics card (gtx 950) for my wife and I in our stock hp/emachine computers. When I got home I quickly realized it was never going to work out the way I hoped. I was missing a 6pin power connector for the cards so I had to go back and buy psu. I checked the video cards specs and saw that they required a 350w psu so I bought a 400w psu. When I got back home I hooked them up into our computers. Her's started up fine (emachine) but mine just beeped one long beep and two short beeps. I tried switching out her video card with mine and the same thing happened. I figured since my computer has more ram, two hard drives, and a better cpu it had to be the power supply was not strong enough. I went back and bought a 500w psu and tried that and got the same results. I thought maybe the pci-e slot got messed up or something so I stuck my old video card in and it booted right up. I tried switching her card that was working in hers with mine and same results, one long beep and two short beeps. I have an I3 3.2 ghz cpu, 8 gigs ram, 500 psu, and stock cooling and fans nothing fancy. I would think 500 would be plenty of power for that setup. When I went back the last time, I ended up buying her a new cpu, motherboard, and ram so she would have better specs that are close to mine and hers works just fine with the 500 psu.

Thanks for any suggestions ahead of time.

Solution
Well ... that was the last thing. On HP forums thay talk about some issues between the GPUs and MB. some were solved by BIOS update.
beyond that is only getting new motherboard that is compatible with your CPU and RAM

Brian_137

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

I know what the error code is, it relates to the video card, but why? The video card works, tested in another computer with similar specs and the same exact power supply. Can a mother board be incompatible with a video card? I don't think that is the way it works right?

Brian_137

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

Brian_137

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

Brian_137

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

Updated the bios to v7.16 restarted and had to set my boot order again. Started up no problems with old video card. Shutdown and inserted new video card and still the same beeping. :(

Thanks for your help!

Brian_137

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

I think you are right, everything points to the motherboard not being able to handle it for whatever reason. Thanks for all your input.