Monitor loses signal at random times.

Rhiojin

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
Hi guys. I've got a maddening problem. So my gf has had this gaming pc for a few years now. i3, 560ti, 10 gb ram 750 bronze psu. 3 weeks ago in the middle of gaming her monitor loses signal. After encountering the issue a few times we investigate and learn the case was super dusty and a fan didn't function on the gpu (had 2 fans) so we dust and vaccum that sucker as best we can but the issue persisted.

So we assume the gpu is to blame and we purchased a gtx 970. But the issue still happens. When it happens we can still hear game sound and control the character.

The baffling part for me is that we can play a game for a random amount of time before it happens. For instance we can play Ark survival evolved for about 15 - 20 mins or stand idle in Guild Wars 2 for over an hour. Activly playin Gw2 triggers the issue after 30 or so mins. And a couple times it happened when it was simply on the desktop.

We tried reseating the gpu and the ram, tried different monitors, cables and inputs(vga, hdmi) .but no luck. We arent able to test the gpu or the psu in a separate system.

So any ideas? :/

Solution
Not sure if this helps you out man, but I had a mobile broadband, you know.. An internet USB stick.. It was sending disruptive signals to anything it was close to, if it was close to to my HDMI cable, it was shutting my monitor signal off randomly, if it was next to the audio cable I kept hearing cracking sounds, the solution was to put the internet stick on the front side of the PC.

This sounds exactly like the problem I had with my internet stick but I don't know if your girlfriend's hardware holds a stick as well. You could look for similar devices near the PC that could send bad signals that disrupt the cable signals.

GlockonDock

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
Not sure if this helps you out man, but I had a mobile broadband, you know.. An internet USB stick.. It was sending disruptive signals to anything it was close to, if it was close to to my HDMI cable, it was shutting my monitor signal off randomly, if it was next to the audio cable I kept hearing cracking sounds, the solution was to put the internet stick on the front side of the PC.

This sounds exactly like the problem I had with my internet stick but I don't know if your girlfriend's hardware holds a stick as well. You could look for similar devices near the PC that could send bad signals that disrupt the cable signals.

Solution

Rhiojin

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

Cooler Master GX 750 bronze. Wasn't really on the tier list.

As I'm pretty stumped any ideas are greatly appreciated. My gf did recently move her wireless adapter closer to the monitor (probably right before the issue started but I cant be 100% certain) so we'll try moving it back to its original position as well.

Kingmayuresh

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017

Hey Thanks, I had a similar problem in my case it was the LAN card sitting besides my graphics card,I removed my lancard now use the onboard port and it worked no loosing signals at random times any more
:)

Mar 5, 2019
Hey, idk if this will help you but i hope it will help the others, i had the same problem but i couldnt really fix it, all what i do is unplug the cable from mu gpu and plug it again then it works with me, i have a wireless adapter but i didnt move before, anyways i found this problem after maybe 4 months from the wireless adapter, also it could be the dust