Graphics card as microsoft basic display adapter

dkgameplayer

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
Well, ok so my friend was doing some driver updates that weren't working. He went to device manager, under display adapters he uninstalled his radeon device and now it shows up as a microsoft basic display adapter. He can't play any of his games. We tried updating his drivers to the lastest amd ones that supported his card, (16.17.3) also i think he uses a 270 or 270x not sure. The install failed and now hes using the reset this pc option in windows 10. He in the middle of resetting it but im not sure if that will fix it. Please help.

Zakario

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
My suggestion is, try formatting the HDD, it sounds like a software issue. Perform a clean windows install and then re-install the drivers accordingly. If that doesn't work, then it could be hardware issue.

dkgameplayer

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015

Ok im reinstalling windows 10 and it asks me which drive to install it on and i don't know which one

Drive 0 Total size: 1023 Free space :1023 Type: None
Drive 1 Partion 1 System reserved Total size: 350 mb Free space: 89 Type: System
Drive 1 Partion 2 Total size: 930.7gb Free space: 634.1gb Type: primary
Drive 1 Partion 3 Total size: 450mb Free space: 116mb Type: OEM reserved

And whenever i click on one it says windows can't be installed on (whateverdriveiselected)
Also i didn't format the HDD because i have no idea what that does or how to do it
Edit: I just found out what formatting does but i only have one drive so if i format it what will happen?