Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a case fan / blower to redirect air 90° ?

Last response: in Components
August 28, 2009 7:21:26 PM

I’m looking for (and can’t find) a specific type of case fan – an 80mm blower which would suck in outside air and redirect it 90° inside my case.

So, basically I’m looking for a PCI slot cooler which could be screw mounted in a standard 80mm case fan location.

I’m sure I could rig something up, but though it would be worth asking if anyone has seen or heard of such a thing / does anyone know where I could find one?

Thanks in advance !
August 28, 2009 7:41:02 PM

You can probably get them, But I wouldn't reccomend them. You'd just be sucking hot air from the back of your case over your gpu
a c 248 ) Power supply
August 28, 2009 7:45:26 PM

Sounds like what you really might want is a case fan mounted on the case side panel so it blows cool air toward the video graphics card. Is that what you mean?
Related resources
August 28, 2009 7:57:36 PM

try this

Sunbeam Ducting Kit

buch of fan adapters, ducting, the 90° duct you want, fan filter, clamps etc
All you need is the 80mm fan and enough space
August 29, 2009 5:14:27 AM

Thanks everyone … I also had this question posted at overclockersclub.com, where Andrewr05 was able to point me to exactly what I was looking for:

80mm Sunon DC 12V Double Ball Bearing Blower Fan (m/n: PMB1297PYB2-AY)

a b ) Power supply
August 29, 2009 5:47:39 AM

Thanks for posting that here - nice to know there's a fan with blades and a case designed to do that - and that they are called "blower fans".
August 29, 2009 12:10:26 PM

UnworthyBean said:
You can probably get them, But I wouldn't reccomend them. You'd just be sucking hot air from the back of your case over your gpu

I had one of them ages ago and the goes out of where it says "vent" on the image above., so the opposing to what you are saying.
But that doesn't mean it's good, as the fan is sucking air from the GPU and the fan that comes with the GPU is doing in the opposite direction so they are fighting against each other.
August 29, 2009 1:54:28 PM

Devastator_uk said:
I had one of them ages ago and the goes out of where it says "vent" on the image above., so the opposing to what you are saying.
But that doesn't mean it's good, as the fan is sucking air from the GPU and the fan that comes with the GPU is doing in the opposite direction so they are fighting against each other.

True, But the OP was wanting a fan that sucks in air from the outside and blows it over the GPU.
August 29, 2009 2:05:07 PM

OK, maybe I should read rather than just look at pictures and guess the question :/ 
August 29, 2009 3:18:33 PM

Devastator_uk – you definitely have a point, if you mounted a PCI vent fan right next to a VC fan, they would be working against each other… probably not a good idea!

UnworthyBean – you are correct, the fan is going to be mounted sucking air in from the rear of the machine and blowing it out over the CPU & northbridge/southbridge areas. True, the PS and VC vent hot air to the rear of the machine, but I think I’ve got the hot air vs. cold air issues worked out using some creative ducting on the exterior of the case (similar to what was suggested by stuart72).

My only concern now is that this fan is rated 53.1 dB – holy cow !
August 29, 2009 9:50:49 PM

PC_user said:
Devastator_uk – you definitely have a point, if you mounted a PCI vent fan right next to a VC fan, they would be working against each other… probably not a good idea!

UnworthyBean – you are correct, the fan is going to be mounted sucking air in from the rear of the machine and blowing it out over the CPU & northbridge/southbridge areas. True, the PS and VC vent hot air to the rear of the machine, but I think I’ve got the hot air vs. cold air issues worked out using some creative ducting on the exterior of the case (similar to what was suggested by stuart72).

My only concern now is that this fan is rated 53.1 dB – holy cow !

Yup - centrifugal fans are very loud - I ripped one out of an old dell years ago expecting it to be silent (the dell was). The trick with that one was to run it at 7 volts, but it really cut the air flow...
!