Can a teen get a computer job?

MrFSXguyHD

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016
Hey, I am currently 14 years old in London. As a kid I have always been interested in computers, assembling them, messing around... what not. Recently I built a Hackintosh and found it to be quite fun in general. I was wondering if it would be possible for a teen like me to get a job in a local computer shop? Repairing computers, building them.

Thanks

Solution
I have no idea how things work in UK but here is how it woks in USA.

To employ a teen under the age of 16 it costs more in insurance and there is extra laws as well so most businesses just don't do it.
A business is in the position to make money, very few businesses wish to spend the cost of doing a full up training of an individual while having to dedicate an individual to monitor all of their work.

The best thing you can do is talk to your local shop owners. Go to the shop (during a non-busy time) and ask if the owner has some time to talk to you and if not when would be a good time. Remember that this owner is running a business (and needs that business to pay his bills) so be respectful of the time he is giving you. Tell the...
I have no idea how things work in UK but here is how it woks in USA.

To employ a teen under the age of 16 it costs more in insurance and there is extra laws as well so most businesses just don't do it.
A business is in the position to make money, very few businesses wish to spend the cost of doing a full up training of an individual while having to dedicate an individual to monitor all of their work.

The best thing you can do is talk to your local shop owners. Go to the shop (during a non-busy time) and ask if the owner has some time to talk to you and if not when would be a good time. Remember that this owner is running a business (and needs that business to pay his bills) so be respectful of the time he is giving you. Tell the owner what you do know and what you can do for him, find out about any certs or job requirements that he has for his employees. Bottom line you have to sell them on how letting you work there and learn will help his business. Do not be too discouraged if you get shot down due to any age or experience factors, after talking with the owners you now know what they expect and you can spend that time to get closer to meeting those expectations; most importantly a couple years latter when you go back to the owner he will remember you and likely be more inclined to give you a shot showing that you have dedicated interest.

Solution
probably not an official job at that age. boosted1g suggestion is good, you might be able to swing some sort of unpaid internship/they just let you hang out in the back kind of deal or an under the counter job (though those don't really happen in an office type environments).