Two different Product Keys for same installation

EonW

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2013
I have just upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10. (Straight upgrade, downloading W10 and allowing it to install immediately, rather than using an ISO on DVD). In case I needed to reinstall at a later time, I looked up the Product Key ( although I understand it may not be needed once a computer is 'registered' with Microsoft for Windows 10).
I used both Nirsoft ProduKey v1.85 and WinkeyFinder v1.75 (and later the beta 2.0), and they displayed a different product key for Win 10, although the product ID was the same in each case. It has left me a bit baffled, and hoped someone could explain this. Thanks for any help.

Solution
The free Upgrade results in a generic 'license key'.
The real 'digital entitlement' is a hash of your original Win 7 license, and info from your hardware.

The reinstall, you do not need to enter a license key.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq
How do I reinstall Windows 10 on my PC?
After you upgrade to Windows 10, you can reinstall or do a clean installation on the same device. You won't need a product key to reactivate Windows 10 on the same hardware. For more info on how to create your own Windows 10 installation media, see the Microsoft software download website.
as you said windows 10 does not have a product key. what you are seeing is a generic product key that will kostly be the same one for anyone who received the free upgrade. the only way you would ever have a windows 10 product key is if you buy a copy of it. if by any chance you would need to enter a product key in the future to activate windows 10 you would use your windows 7 product key as windows 10 accepts valid windows 7 and 8.1 keys that were used for the free upgrade

to recap, as long as you install the right version of windows 10 (home/pro) and its the same computer (hardware) all you need to do is connect it to the internet after installing and it will automatically activate

USAFRet

Titan
The free Upgrade results in a generic 'license key'.
The real 'digital entitlement' is a hash of your original Win 7 license, and info from your hardware.

The reinstall, you do not need to enter a license key.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq
How do I reinstall Windows 10 on my PC?
After you upgrade to Windows 10, you can reinstall or do a clean installation on the same device. You won't need a product key to reactivate Windows 10 on the same hardware. For more info on how to create your own Windows 10 installation media, see the Microsoft software download website.

Solution

EonW

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2013

Thanks for the reply. I understand (I think) that all the upgrade versions (eg. Home , Pro etc) will all have the same product key shown. What I don't understand is why I got shown one PK by WinkeyFinder and a different one by ProduKey. I would have expected them to show exactly the same one. This is what I'm trying to figure out.

USAFRet

Titan

Those things are often very weird. For instance, Belarc Advisor still sees my system as Windows 8.1 Pro, even though it has been upgraded to Win 10.
Another system that was upgraded from Win 8.1 Home to Win 10 Home is properly read as Win 10.

EonW

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2013

Thanks for the replies. That is what baffles me - both applications read the install as Win 10, and neither 'key' is the same as my old Win 7 one ( although ProduKey recognises my old Win 7 key for IE 11, which I kept on).

Update: Thanks to you both for your replies and help. I'm still baffled - as USAFRet said, these things can be weird! I'll let it go as one of the mysteries of software.