My computer has been randomly freezing recently. Where can I find a log or something that tells me what went wrong?

Blythus

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
What the title says. Though, if anyone wants to help, my computer has been locking up randomly for the past few weeks, and it's been getting more and more frequent, now happening once or twice per day. This isn't where my computer is endlessly thinking, with a swirling circle next to the cursor and programs not responding- this is a full lockup. My cursor won't move and everything's frozen. The only way to fix it is to do a hard reset, but it happens again after a few hours. Where can I find out what's going wrong?

Oh, and my build.
Windows 10 MSI Gaming 970 mobo
AMD FX-6300 cpu with stock cooler
AMD Sapphire R9 380 gpu
G-skill ripjaws 2x4GB ram
EVGA 600B psu
and 2 Western Digital HDDs.

Btw, I just replaced the mobo/cpu/gpu a few months ago if that has any bearing on the situation.

Solution
Yes. Look into the Event Viewer logs.

Type Event Viewer into the Search the web and Windows box or open via WIN + R.

Logs are quite extensive and can be confusing. However it does no harm looking about and getting a sense of the organization and information being presented.

Explore a bit and see what you can find. Look for entries just before or at the time of the freezes.

Right click any given log entry for more details. The goal is to find some identifiable error codes to google.

That said, I would suspect the PSU but have nothing to really support that suspicion beyond just knowning that all sorts of weird things can happen.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes. Look into the Event Viewer logs.

Type Event Viewer into the Search the web and Windows box or open via WIN + R.

Logs are quite extensive and can be confusing. However it does no harm looking about and getting a sense of the organization and information being presented.

Explore a bit and see what you can find. Look for entries just before or at the time of the freezes.

Right click any given log entry for more details. The goal is to find some identifiable error codes to google.

That said, I would suspect the PSU but have nothing to really support that suspicion beyond just knowning that all sorts of weird things can happen.

Solution