Vertical line on monitor display

gbswales

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I have a matching pair of Dell 1680x1050 monitors which generally give perfect pictures. Occasionally when the monitors are turned on during start up a vertical thin blue line (colour varies according to background) appears a third of the way across the monitor. Usually this is on the right monitor but occasionally has appeared on the left monitor instead. The line is always in the same position on each of the monitors.

I can usually lose the line either by gently tapping the surface of the monitor (on the line) a few times (I do mean gently) or sometimes turning the monitor off and back on makes it go too. The line never appears during a session, only when starting up my computer or more usually bringing it back from sleep mode.

It's not a huge problem at the moment and replacing the monitor is a last resort as I would have to replace both as currrent dell models do not match. They are good quality monitors with rise and fall and 180 turn.

Solution
hoenstly i am more inclined to believe its you graphics card or dvi/hdmi/display port connections then you monitors both going bad especially if the line hows up in the same spot of both monitors. try wiggling the video input and see if the line goes away (or comes back). Also if you have an hdtv around see if this third device displays the same behavior.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
hoenstly i am more inclined to believe its you graphics card or dvi/hdmi/display port connections then you monitors both going bad especially if the line hows up in the same spot of both monitors. try wiggling the video input and see if the line goes away (or comes back). Also if you have an hdtv around see if this third device displays the same behavior.

Solution

tarqzaro

Commendable
Dec 26, 2017
Hello, I've got same problem please guys help me to fix it when i push the line it dispear and when i remove my hand it shows up again please guys if u have any solution i would be so thankful