Best Gaming PC around $500 to $600

MrNault

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
Hello, I'm looking to build my first gaming pc. Now I'm NOT a newbie when it comes to working on computers, hardware and software wise. But I just want some opinions about the system I want to build. So I wanted a system around $500 to $600. I'm not worried about the "prettiness" of the system, but it is a plus if the colors of the components matched. I'm also not a fanboy of any brand, so it doesn't matter there. I have done some research and I have made a PC parts list. I'm open to constructed criticism to my list or if you make a new one. Thanks and I'm excited for responses.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/MX8gJV

Woohoopy

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Looks great, here's a few tips.

1). You might need a networking card (~$15-$20) if you plan to use wifi, and a higher end one if you plan on using bluetooth (most people don't but you know). Here's one.

2). Triple check you get a black edition FX 6300 CPU so you can overclock. You'll be very pleased with its overclocking potential especially for how much it costs.

3). I know for a fact you can get a used GTX 970 for the same price of that new R9 380, which, on average in most games, the 970 is ~35% faster. The 970s are running for about ~$175 on ebay. Something worth considering if you want the "most bang for your buck", especially with all the great software like shadowplay on the Nvidia side. This one sold this morning.

I think you've done a great job and this system will be able to run a ton of stuff. Nice job and good luck.

Edit: Get an Rx 480 before buying an R9 380. Once again, 34% performance boosts brand new.

MrNault

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

wow, I can't believed you replied this quick. thanks!
1. So I didn't think about a network card, but I have a wired connection. Do you think a network card would be faster than the onboard Ethernet connector?
2. thanks for telling me that! I just check the site and it says "Black Edition"
3. I have thinking about buying used, but I like buying new due to the warranties/returns. I will check that out though!

Woah woah woah, don't get the FX-6300, outdated CPU with terrible performance compared to an i3 6100 which costs pretty much the same.
The CPU cooler is loud and doesn't perform as well as air coolers for the same price.
Power supply is also extremely low quality, stay away from it unless you want a fireplace.
A wireless card will never be as fast as ethernet, but it will be a stable connection as long as you get a decent one.
I'll post a build in a sec.

Woohoopy

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

No problem.

1). No, not at all. Wired connections are almost certainly always faster than wireless wifi networks. If you know you're going to be wired for the foreseeable future, don't worry about buying a network card.

2). Awesome yeah black is better.

3). Since you're still under the $600 dollar belt, you should consider adding the extra $70 into the gpu area and getting a GTX 1060. The performance benefit is insane in every game (except Doom) and you would buy your computer a few years of relevance. The GTX 1060 is super new and runs for around $250.

However, if you wish to remain in the $200, most definitelly get an RX 480 (4gb) edition instead of the 380. Its architecture is brand new and well worth the $10 dollar extra for a MUCH larger performance boost.

I don't recommend buying a new R9 380x. The Rx 480 costs virtually the same and is new and better.

4). It looks like you're missing an operating system. If you happen to have an old or broken laptop you will no longer use frequently, I can teach you how to legally transfer the windows key onto your new build. If you don't, then feel free to get a Windows 7/10 key, but it'll run you another ~$100.

Woohoopy

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

Out of curiosity, how does having 3mb of L3 cache affect CPU performance for the i3 6100? Or is that irrelevant compared to the better single core performance?

GrumpyEtha

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015

Hey!

You probably won't see any difference if you get a dedicated network card. Ones integrated in motherboards, especially recent ones, are more than enough for most people.

As far as the part list goes, I would probably go for something like this (check the part list on the site, as all of these, except the case, are parametric filters, so you could find something better down the list for a couple more bucks):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: *Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: *ASRock B150M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: *G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: *Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Zalman R1 ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: *EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($36.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $573.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-03 04:11 EDT-0400

The i3 line, especially Skylake, is noticeably better than the FX-6300 (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4dUCeF2jnU, plus you get an actual upgrade path.
Now note that the Skylake i3s can't be overclocked anymore with latest BIOS updates, thanks intel... But, that allows you to ditch the cooler money in the GPU. And the RX 480 is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the R9 380, even with an i3.

Anyway, good luck and have fun choosing parts, as it can be a hassle :p

MrNault

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

3. The 1060 does interest me but it seems like another $100 to my budget, which at this moment I don't know if I can make. I also looked at the RX 480 before I made this post, but it seems like everyone is out of stock and I need this system in the next week or so.

4. Yes I have a copy of a OS.

Here you go. Includes a RX 480, i3 6100 and 8GB of RAM.
If you want the extra power, I HIGHLY recommend saving up another $60 to get an i5.
means you can carry it over to higher powered builds in the future, and you can alleviate the 5-10% bottleneck the RX480 has with the i3.
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/fpfzNN
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/fpfzNN/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $567.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-03 04:44 EDT-0400