Windows Anniversary Upgrade Edge doesn't work properly

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
Tried Edge out again because it received some updates, but the favourites don't work. I can bookmark a page and it doesn't show up anywhere. I can import bookmarks from Chrome and they don't show up anywhere. All I get is the default import your favourites message. It also started registering clicks intermittently after a few minutes

And why doesn't dark theme apply everywhere?

Who knows !.

Typical of Microsoft anyway, bring an upgrade out.
Only to find it still has bugs in it, though has some fixes and tweaks that do work with windows 10.
I guess the answer is with MS.

No doubt there, will a fix for the anniversary upgrade in a few weeks from MS.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Wonder how many on insider preview report bugs as opposed to just using it as a sort of early access (Note: before anyone attacks me, I realise not all are like this but I can guess there is a fair percentage).

I haven't got it yet and am sitting here seeing all the fun bugs I might have to deal with. I was unlikely to use Edge anyway as it only has so many Add ons and doesn't have Ublock Origin yet, just Ad Block Plus that already lets ads through if you pay them enough. Pass.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So much for not having it yet. Windows really doesn't want me to swap default browsers. I currently don't have one as I tried to swap from edge to Chrome, it removed edge but didn't add Chrome and refuses to let me do it from list. I could go to control panel and set it from there, but I expect it will fix itself.

Its amazing that the only browser that stays as a default just happens to be Edge. I restarted PC thinking it might change since it was still installing things after I started, but no such luck. I will let it stay that way and just use chrome anyway.

I had a feeling last night they might try something like this, they want people using the silly thing and aren't afraid to force us. Same as Cortana is on now even though I am using a local account, I am sure they said she wouldn't be on a local user.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014

Google Chrome's Adblock is robust. For the other browsers? Not so much.

I should add a solved to the first post. It's unintuitive design that caused the issue.

Chrome puts your bookmarks up top, and they are also accessible in the only Menu Chrome has (outside of File Edit etc)

In Edge, you need to click the three lines that looks like a list and the bookmarks are in there. The bookmarks bar doesn't tell you that though. It also doesn't tell you that to add stuff to it, I think you need to do it on a per-bookmark basis (like how you have the Other bookmarks folder in Chrome)

Edge's method of determining what page you were last on seems hit or miss. In Chrome, when I press the back navigation button on my mouse it goes back 1 page (vice versa for going forward). Edge, it will do that most time, but then it will start registering as a double tap. Same issue with the Xbox One controller in Steam. The 360 controller is unaffected

I'm only trying Edge, because it got updated.

Also, Ask Cortana is not universal. You can right click in Edge and have Ask Cortana for a definition. So far I haven't seen it work in other places, will have to try some more. It should be universal like OSX three finger tap