Monitor continuously blacking out after graphics card and ram upgrade?

sw1ft

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
Hello. I recently upgraded my pc by installing an amd r9 390 and 16gb of ram. I have a 600w power supply and no water cooling. I tried to play rainbow six siege today and 30 minutes into the game my monitor turned off and said that there was no input detected. (My monitor is connected to my graphics card) my of was still functioning and all the fans were running. However, I noticed that it was running very hot. I immediately rebooted and everything seemed okay when the same thing happened 5 minutes into the game. This time, I could hear sounds and control my character yet the monitor detected no input. Again, my computer was still hot from before and I have a suspicion that it has something to do with the problem. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone could give me a clue as to what might be happening? Thanks

Solution
This could be an issue with the card over heating, especially if it takes 30-Minutes to blank out, then only 5 the second time around. I would make sure that the card, as well as every other fan in your system, are well cleaned with compressed air. On top of that, I would make sure that the card is up to date on all of its drivers, as malfunctioning drivers can cause all sorts of weird issues. I would suggest ( even though it is new) making sure the RAM you just installed is good. Switch back to your old RAM if possible, or run Memtest (Boot tools found here http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/). Other possible failures include a very possibly failing Power Supply and a factory-faulty GPU (assuming you got it from the factory and not second...

Th3-Trinity

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015
This could be an issue with the card over heating, especially if it takes 30-Minutes to blank out, then only 5 the second time around. I would make sure that the card, as well as every other fan in your system, are well cleaned with compressed air. On top of that, I would make sure that the card is up to date on all of its drivers, as malfunctioning drivers can cause all sorts of weird issues. I would suggest ( even though it is new) making sure the RAM you just installed is good. Switch back to your old RAM if possible, or run Memtest (Boot tools found here http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/). Other possible failures include a very possibly failing Power Supply and a factory-faulty GPU (assuming you got it from the factory and not second hand from somebody else), though that would be a bit more on the rare side.

Just for giggles, make sure the power cables you connect to the graphics card are pushed in all the way.

Which GPU did you have before?

Solution

Masoner

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

So how did you notice it was hot? do you have a program like HWmonitor? or some interface?

Did your previous GPU require power from the GPU? did you do a clean install of the drivers?