OC i7-4790K - do I have sufficient hardware?

Tomas1020

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015
Hello everybody!

I have bought an Intel Core i7-4790K into a year old PC. It initially had an i5-4590 3,3 GHz. Wasn't enough for MS Flight Simulator X.

These are my current specs:
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB OC
RAM: Kingston 8GB HyperX Fury (2x4GB)
PSU: Seasonic 450W Gold
Case: Zalman Z3 Plus
CPU: well, like i said, i have i7-4790K coming
Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 103 (this is where I'm concerned the most)
SSD:
Kingston HyperX Fury 250 GB (this is where only Windows and Flight Simulator with add-ons are installed)
HDD: basic WD 1 TB

The simulator is very CPU demanding, therefore I think that I will need to overclock it. I have never overclocked any CPU before so I'm a total newbie. But I will do research about it :). My goal is to hit 5 GHz or at least come as close to it as possible.

My question for you is, is this build good enough? Especially the cooler. Is it safe to test it first and if I see that it's not, then change it? Or will the CPU be in immediate danger?

If the cooler isn't sufficient, which one would you recommend? Air or water? Please keep in mind that I'm a student, not a millionaire (yet :) ).

Thank you very much for any tip!

Tomas

Tomas1020

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015
At least something :) And how does that work? It runs at 4.0 GHz and when it's not enough, it automatically introduces the additional 400 MHz? Or can I force it manually to run all the time?

And about the cooler, will it be sufficient to run this CPU at stock?