IPS or TN Monitor at same price point

Tgeer276

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2015
Hi guys, I have a question on a subject that isn't really at all my forté: Monitor Panel Types

See I want to game at 1080p but am definitely not going to invest in a Monitor that can deliver higher refresh rates than 60Hz, since I mostly play for myself and in the few moments I play multiplayer games, having the competitive edge isn't worth an extra investment to me. Moreover especially with newer games the graphical beauty of the game is more important to me than refresh rates above 60Hz. So from what I've heard/read from brief buyers guides and monitor guides, I basically concluded this:
TN: best refresh rates, cheapest, not the best colour
VA: better colour, not as good refresh rates
IPS: best colour, slower refresh rates compared to TN

So say I'm looking at a price point of 130€ for instance and I have the option between an IPS panel and a TN panel. Which Panel would you guys recommend, solely based on the advantages/disadvantages of both panel types?

Solution
A decent TN honestly isn't that bad if you get it calibrated correctly, obviously it's not going to match a good VA or PLS/IPS in terms of colour and viewing angles.

It all comes down to what you're mostly doing - if you're mostly web browsing, watching movies, graphics work with a little bit of gaming on the side; I'd go for a VA or PLS/IPS every time. If you're mostly gaming, I find that the vibrancy of whatever Lara Croft is wearing to cover her mammaries, just dsoesn't even matter; it's all about the fluidity you get with a quicker response time.

anti-duck

Honorable
A decent TN honestly isn't that bad if you get it calibrated correctly, obviously it's not going to match a good VA or PLS/IPS in terms of colour and viewing angles.

It all comes down to what you're mostly doing - if you're mostly web browsing, watching movies, graphics work with a little bit of gaming on the side; I'd go for a VA or PLS/IPS every time. If you're mostly gaming, I find that the vibrancy of whatever Lara Croft is wearing to cover her mammaries, just dsoesn't even matter; it's all about the fluidity you get with a quicker response time.

Solution

Professur

Honorable
May 7, 2016
IPS.

But you miss the quality part of it. Some monitors are of lower quality, and they flap yellow after 2,3 years. Some monitors are good overall, but the backlight bleeding is horrible when you watch videos.

Currently I am using a refurbished ASUS Mx279h 27" IPS which was on sale for $175 US. Not the best but totally worth it.

Too general. There is a lot of overlap of cheap ips and decent tn. It depends more budget and on the exact models you are looking at. 130 is low and you'd be looking at cheap models. Personally I wouldn't go with ips for gaming, the ips glow kills the experience for me. But as long as you don't play dark games, you won't see it. Tn is ok for cheap monitors and the color is good enough for gaming. Everyone has seen tn because most monitors are tn. Va is what I'd get for gaming or even all around goodness but I think that's above your budget.

Response times does not equal better fluidity, this relates to ghosting. At 60hz, you'd be fine with even 10ms so isn't even a concern and there is nothing to affect fluidity other than g/f/vsync and/or needing to keep 60fps. Input lag isn't a concern for normal sized monitors. Having colors that aren't right or bad contrast can ruin the gaming experience. It's just much better when you have better black levels and contrast on va.

anti-duck

Honorable

'fluidity' was probably the wrong term to be fair, but it was fairly apparent what context I used it in; it wasn't in relation to framerates. I probably should have used 'consistency'.

Tgeer276

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2015

I did also see a VA Panel option at the same price point. And what you say is also one of the reasons why I bothered asking. Its one thing to say IPS Panels give you on average a much better colour output, but I'm not sure how much you can compare general Panel differences, when you're looking at the ultra low-end of IPS Panels (based on Price) compared to TN panels... Especially since I'm looking at a max price of around 150€.

Tgeer276

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2015
For instance between to following 3 monitors at a very reasonable price point:
AOC i2276Vwm (IPS)
ASUS VS229HA (VA)
Samsung S22F350FH (TN)
-> Which would be a better choice?

With the prices so close I'd go with va. Other than va having the upper hand in black levels and contrast, color gamut is too close to matter. People could say color is better on the ips and va because viewing angles but that would be the only reason. I could say it's worse on ips because of the ips glow. The other specs even illustrate my point as all are similar. Really there is hardly any difference on these exact models.