Looking for a 25"-27" all-purpose/casual gaming, bezelless monitor

Lloyder12x

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
Hello all,

I'm looking to replace my 21.5" Acer VGA monitor with something newer and bigger. I really like the modern look of the bezelless displays. I also like the 25" category as it seems to be a happy medium between the 24" and the 27" monitors... This also leads to the 1080p vs 1440p dilemma. My card most certainly won't push modern games at 1440p, but I'm wondering if it'd be worth future-proofing for when I do a new build in the next year or so?

Thanks ahead of time for your help! Here is the questionnaire:

1. What Is Your Country Of Origin?: USA

2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? (ex. Games, Movie Watching, Photo Editing, etc.) Casual gaming (mostly MMO's like WoW, Eve, GW2... Some FPS's like Overwatch and BF3... Nothing competitively), school (I'm finishing a degree online so I read a lot of e-textbooks and do basic accounting/spreadsheets), and browsing/research.

3. What resolution and screen size do you want? Either 1080p or 1440p... Really torn between the two but I don't have a GPU to push 1440p on most games (I have a GTX 570--hopefully upgrading soon).

4. What refresh rate do you want? (ex. 60 hz , 70 hz.) I highly doubt I'll need over 60hz due to my casual gaming but I wouldn't mind looking at options.

5. How much are you looking to spend? Ideally under $300.00.

6. Brands Preferred (ex. Samsung, Acer, Asus, AOC, HP, Viewsonic, etc. ) No preferred brands. But ASUS and Dell seem to have the best bezelless/thin bezel monitors...

8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor? No, this will be just a one monitor setup.

9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable? I'm using a GTX 570 but will be upgrading to a GTX 670 within the next week or so to tide me over until I do a new build.

11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display? Primary.

12. Is This A Secondary Display For A Laptop? No.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Just having a hard time with a 27" 1080p monitor. Unless you really sit kinda far back because anything over @24" really gets grainy at 1080p. Kinda like when you sit too close to a big screen TV. You loose the detailing and sharpness since you have the same amount of pixels spread in a larger area.

frank_hnd

Honorable

for games, movies and photos it is good enough, I have a 27"1080p at home and 24" at work. same thing....

Lloyder12x

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
Yeah I definitely want a clean, crisp display. If 27" is going to be grainy I think I'd prefer sticking with a 24-25" for 1080p. I sit about 2 or so feet away from my monitor. I really would like a rig that can run a 27" 1440 display but I'm just not there yet. Maybe in a year or so.

Lloyder12x

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014

Yeah I don't think I sit that far back. What about a 25" monitor though? Do you think it'll be too grainy at 1080p?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Good advice. Just figure out where you sit comfortable with your current setup so you'll have a moderately accurate guess as to what you'll be seeing. An alternative might be a 1200p ultra-wide monitor vrs the standard wide of 1080p.

Lloyder12x

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
Ok thanks for the help. I unfortunately don't have access to any place locally that sells monitors (I live in a tiny town) but I'll keep an eye out.

Lloyder12x

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014

Hey thanks for responding! I actually ended up going with an HP 25XW and it's been fantastic. It's overclock-able up to 75hz and has exceeded my expectations for an IPS display in regards to gaming. But I'll keep an eye on that next time I'm in the market.

Cheers.